Best American Army Commander WWII?

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Why would you suggest Hodges?
What do you think would qualify him as "best?" :think:
What other ones do I have to choose from?
Hodges was known largely for his performance in Normandy and the advance to the Rhine. It was the fighting in the Rhine which tested his mettle. He also seems to be Bradley's preferred subordinate, and was possibly better suited to Bradley's command style and operational style.

Reactions: Zip

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
What other ones do I have to choose from?
In Europe Simpson, Patch, Patton and Truscott are generally held as having been pretty capable as were Eichelberger and Krueger in the Pacific.

Eichelberger, who was kind and thoughtful to his subordinates but acidic about his equals and superiors, thought MacArthur OKed Hodges for the Pacific because Hodges was innocuous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Oda Nobunaga

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Hodges had his ups and downs but I have the impression he grew in the job; learned his lessons and improved. It should be kept in mind that many of the American troops and commanders in NW Europe had a short and steep learning curve: from combat rookies in June of 44 to victors in May of 45.

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego
The original question is who was the best American commander of an army, not the army.
I get that- But The army is still an army. Individual "army" task forces are no different in kind than the battlions within that army and the companies within those battalions Its just a heirarchy.
And, again, what made any individual army commander successful was as much due to how he was MANAGED by his superior as to his own individual talents.

to wit: generals who could not forward the union cause when they were in command... were suddenly able to forward the union cause under Grant's command.

Patton and Montgomery were as much a Problem as they were solutions. It was the men managing the overall effort and their roles that mitigated their flaws and magnified their strengths.

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
I would have to pick Patton.
He commanded an army in two separate operations. In Sicily, he commanded the Seventh Army and in Western Europe he commanded the Third Army.
During the Sicilian operation, while the II Corps had to slug it out in the horrible terrain south of Mt Aetna, Patton used the remainder of his forces to drive northwest to Palermo and then eastward along the North coast road. This operation forced the German forces to retreat towards Messina.
In France, Patton’s break out from Avranche allowed the Allied army to clear the Brittany Peninsula and secure the area to the mouth of the Loire river. Two other army corps Swung south and east in a drive towards Seine River. This dislodged the German defense of Normandy and forced a hasty retreat. This allowed general Montgomery to pursue the retreating Germans and to reach Antwerp by the beginning of September.
During the Battle of the Bulge, Patton’s rapid movement for the relief of Bastogne was a brilliant operation.:

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
If I had to make a choice I would go Eichelberger. It takes someone with a bit of Sainthood in them to serve and prosper under MacArthur. He had to make some of the Mighty Mac's decisions work. Hodges was responsible for Bulge and the Hurtgen.

Pruitt

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
If I had to make a choice I would go Eichelberger. It takes someone with a bit of Sainthood in them to serve and prosper under MacArthur. He had to make some of the Mighty Mac's decisions work.

Pruitt
MacArthur sent Eichelberger to straighten out the attack on Buna and told him to succeed or not come back alive.

MacArthur gave Eichelberger more leeway than he gave Krueger and usually gave him a job and then left him alone. He put more pressure on Krueger and almost drove him crazy.