Best and worst historical fashion

Aug 2013
Italy
Fashion: since man first began to make clothing for himself, garments have fascinated him. And HER: we must never forget that many if not most fashion trends have been influenced or set by the ladies!

Fashions come into favour, last for a while, go out of style, but seem to return again and again.

What do you think were some of the best, and worst, historical fashions, for both males and females?

Here are just a few of my own opinions:

Best women's fashions:
1. Classical Greece: simple, dignified elegance.

2. Medieval gowns, 13th-14th century: tightly-fitting, slim-lined, extremely becoming to women who had slender figures.

3. Chinese dresses, Tang Dynasty: softly flowing robes in a harmony of bright colours.

4. Silk dresses of the 17th century (from ca. 1630 onward). Exceptionally feminine and flattering.

4. Aristocratic ladies' fashion, 1740's to 1750's: exquisite confections of silk, ribbons and lace, all combined with the highest level of refinement and delicacy. Just look at the marvellous portraits of Madame de Pompadour, and you will see what I mean.

Worst women's fashions:

1. Etruscan robes: horrible stiff imitations of the Greek peplos.

2. Dresses of the Dark Ages: like shapeless potato sacks.

3. The high-waisted gowns of Jane Austen's times: these gave all women a plump, disproportionate appearance and concealed the gentle contours of the waist.

Best men's fashions:

1. The simple tunics from Classical Greece to the early Middle Ages.

2. Many would disagree with me, but I like men's fashion of the 17th century (1630 onward): sober but very appealing and elegant.

Worst men's fashions:
1. Minoan loincloths. Yuck!

2. Elizabethan costume: those horrid ruffs and silly knee-pants made men look like effeminate namby-pambies!:lol:

Last edited:

Lawnmowerman

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
Best ever the Ancient Minoan's

look at the subtle color changed in the dress the red, whites and blues.The layer effects of the dresses, what's not to love??

Last edited:
Aug 2013
Italy
Best ever the Ancient Minoan's

look at the subtle color changed in the dress the red, whites and blues.The layer effects of the dresses, what's not to love??
Too daring and flouncy for my taste. And Minoan men's dress (or undress) was even worse, in my humble opinion.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Imo best men's fashion was from the Napoleonic period untill the 1950s. Cca 1880s-1918 is as good as it gets for me with 1918-1940 taking the silver.

For me the worst is the fashion of the rococo era and there about.

May 2013
Hays Kansas (ex Australian)
Apparently the traditional togas Roman senators wore were known for their lack of function and comfort

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Worst -

High Healed Shoes.

Louis the Sun King reintroduces the popularity of the high-healed shoe - he was the one that wears them.

Months later, his mistress wears a high-healed shoes - then it becomes popular for women to wear them again much to the chagrin of women's ankles centuries later.

Worst -

Foot-binding popular from the Southern Qi to the Song Dynasty. Not popular in the Yuan. Popular in the Ming, Qing, but not popular in post-Qing.

Last edited:

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Last edited: