Best Books for Ottoman Military History?

Jun 2016
istanbul
The traditional approach to the history of the Ottomans is actually to research the military history of the Ottomans. Analyzing the socio-economical history of the empire is quite a new thing, annales school of history- especially Barkan-Inalcik initiated that approach.

As far as I know, many institutions of the Ottomans- including military- were researched very deeply by Ismail Hakki Uzuncarsili. But I don't know any english translation of the works. I would guess any English book which relies heavily on the works of Uzuncarsili, would work.

That's the most advanced level of information you would get as far as secondary sources are concerned.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
i'm not really into military history and these don't cover the full period you are interested in, but they are good books in English:

Rhoads Murphey: Ottoman Warfare, 1500-1700

Gábor Ágoston: Guns for the Sultan: Military Power and the Weapons Industry in the Ottoman Empire

And then of course in their bibliographies you may find more books about more specific areas, particular campaigns etc

Edit:

Almost forgot this more general one (it also has a very rich bibliography):

Mesut Uyar and Edward J. Erickson: A Military History of the Ottomans: From Osman to Atatürk

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
i'm not really into military history and these don't cover the full period you are interested in, but they are good books in English:

Rhoads Murphey: Ottoman Warfare, 1500-1700

Gábor Ágoston: Guns for the Sultan: Military Power and the Weapons Industry in the Ottoman Empire

And then of course in their bibliographies you may find more books about more specific areas, particular campaigns etc

Edit:

Almost forgot this more general one (it also has a very rich bibliography):

Mesut Uyar and Edward J. Erickson: A Military History of the Ottomans: From Osman to Atatürk
Thank you!

Nov 2016
Arizona, USA
I can recommend a book written by Mesut Uyar and Edward Erickson titled,

A Military History of the Ottoman Empire: From Osman to Atatürk

I've read it a couple of times and would certainly recommend it if your interested in the Ottoman Turks. It's a history book written from the perspective of the Ottoman's and is geared towards academia so don't expect any riveting stories of war.

Amazon UK may be cheaper than Amazon US although you will have to wait a week longer to get it.

Use this link (change the zip code) to see if it's available at a library near you. The link will also provide locations where the book can be purchased:

WorldCat Search

ETA: Apologies Tulun, I didn't see your reference to my book recommendation before I posted my response.

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
I can recommend a book written by Mesut Uyar and Edward Erickson titled,

A Military History of the Ottoman Empire: From Osman to Atatürk

I've read it a couple of times and would certainly recommend it if your interested in the Ottoman Turks. It's a history book written from the perspective of the Ottoman's and is geared towards academia so don't expect any riveting stories of war.

Amazon UK may be cheaper than Amazon US although you will have to wait a week longer to get it.

Use this link (change the zip code) to see if it's available at a library near you. The link will also provide locations where the book can be purchased:

WorldCat Search

ETA: Apologies Tulun, I didn't see your reference to my book recommendation before I posted my response.
Thank you. I managed to get my hands on this book soon after it was suggested by Tulun and will hopefully start reading it soon.

Similar History Discussions