Best editions of Tacitus?

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
Ah, I can't speak too authoritatively as to translations unfortunately, as I've only really read him in Latin (there I can recommend the Teubner edition). I'm looking at previews now and both the Penguin and the Oxford World's Classics editions do look pretty good to be honest. I should think you'd be safe with either. Hope that helps!

Thanks. I've come across some negative reviews of the Penguin translation in:

https://www.amazon.com/Annals-Pengu...citus+penguin&qid=1560794881&s=gateway&sr=8-1

2.0 out of 5 starsGreat book, just bad translation.
May 14, 2019
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The Annals is a very informative and detailed book with rich history. However, it can hard to read and understand. With this translation, it makes it easier to understand. However, chucks of historical information has been omitted. Important passages has been taken out by the translator of this version. For the most accurate translation, I would recommend Alfred John Church and William Jackson Brodribb version.

Church and Brodribb are from 1942; do you have an opinion on them?

Mar 2013
I suspect the reviewer might just be a bit curmudgeonly tbh! Especially as the translator is Michael Grant, a very vivid writer and a decent Latinist. I don't think the book is condensed? The book you reference can be found in archive.org. Had a flick through some of the same passages I previewed for the Oxford and the Penguin, it also seems pretty good but maybe a little antiquated? I like the marginal summaries.

Maybe be cautious and just go for the Oxford? The translation is also good and the translator, Yardley, is a good historian and has done some good work on the Loeb Livy.

Mar 2013
Woodman is a serious scholar. Produced several good studies on Tacitus, authored some university level commentaries. Very good on Tacitus as well as historiography and history more generally. His name would come up a lot on any decent reading list.