Best Educational Radio Stations?

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Evening all,

I've become quite bored with BBC Radio 4 so I decided to listen to South Carolina Public Radio as I wanted to hear what things were like on American radio (as well as some mad accents) and I also listened to some station in Georgia. The Public Service Radio was pretty good, apart from the adverts every 5 seconds, is that the case for every public radio station in the states? I was surprised to hear that there was some news about the UK with details about Brexit, I wasn't expecting that to be of much interest to the US domestic radio market. I was even more surprised to hear that the BBC World Service took over a US station from 10pm!

Do you guys listen to the radio? Can you recommend any good stations? It's quite interesting listening to stations from other countries as it gives one an entirely new perspective on world affairs.

~EoR

Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Evening all,

I've become quite bored with BBC Radio 4 so I decided to listen to South Carolina Public Radio as I wanted to hear what things were like on American radio (as well as some mad accents) and I also listened to some station in Georgia. The Public Service Radio was pretty good, apart from the adverts every 5 seconds, is that the case for every public radio station in the states? I was surprised to hear that there was some news about the UK with details about Brexit, I wasn't expecting that to be of much interest to the US domestic radio market. I was even more surprised to hear that the BBC World Service took over a US station from 10pm!

Do you guys listen to the radio? Can you recommend any good stations? It's quite interesting listening to stations from other countries as it gives one an entirely new perspective on world affairs.

~EoR
National Public Radio (NPR) is the only national radio station that fits the bill. I am not an expert on their programming, but I do receive multiple broadcast stations, so I do have a feel. NPR has about 8 hours of programming that each individual station broadcasts daily. The remaining time is filled with broadcasts that are either produced by each local station or purchased from other broadcasters, including other NPR stations. Most of the NPR stations that I have listened to across the nation do have several hours of BBC programming.

Here is a link to the Philadelphia NPR radio schedule:

Radio Schedule - WHYY

Here is a link to the Harrisburg, PA NPR radio schedule:

WITF Radio Schedule | witf.org

Similar History Discussions