• French guard (old, middle, young)

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • French line (including grenadiers)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • French light

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Prussian guard

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Prussian line (musketeers and grenadiers)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prussian Landwehr

• Prussian Jäger

• Austrian grenadiers

• Austrian line

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Austrian Grenzer

• Austrian Jäger and Landwehr

• Russian Guard

• Russian line (grenadiers and musketeers)

• Russian Jäger

• Russian militia

• British line (including guard regiments)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • British light

• British rifles

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Highland regiments

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • King's German Legion

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Hannoverian

• Dutch-Belgian infantry and militia

• Nassau

• Braunschweig (Leib, Jäger etc)

• Saxon

• Westphalian

• Würtemberg

• Bavarian

• Italian (pick one?)

• Swedish

• Spanish (including guerilla)

• Illyrian

• Polish

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Danish

• Portugese

• Engineers/sappeurs (elaborate which army)

• Other

• Total voters

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I voted for the Austrian grenadiers. I think that they, and the Grenzer, were probably the most capable Austrian type of infantry, despite not being organised in regiments of their own. I also love their uniforms.

I also voted for the Highlanders. Wow can one not like 'em? Especially the Black Watch and the Gordons.

And my last vote went to the Illyrians. I'm Slovene and despite my home was in Austria then, a big portion of Slovene Lands was part of the Illyrian Provinces. Ljubljana was even their capital. So logically I vote for my countrymen, who fought and died with Napoleon. I think that's (one of) their uniform(s)?

Oct 2011
Sloboda
An interesting task.

I had to criticize a bit. Where are Prussian fusiliers? Does it supposed that they - Prussian line ? They were incorporated into regular line regiment in the course of the reforms 1808-1809, but I would like the author of the post mentioned them, either separately or include in Prussian line - ( for example - Prussian line - grenadiers, musketeers, fusiliers)

It was hard for me to choose. I think there were so many wonderful regiments and generals during Napoleonic wars that it is really hard to choose the best three.

My choice:
1. French Guard!!!!
2. British Light infantry

3. French line infantry, but I would have preferred Prussian fusiliers, if I could distinguish them.

In conclusion, I would like to praise all soldiers of Napoleonic wars. Russian soldiers, Austrian soldiers, Polish soldiers, German soldiers, Italian Soldiers - all fought bravely and competition between them was very strong. The most wonderful period of military history!

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
An interesting task.

I had to criticize a bit. Where are Prussian fusiliers? Does it supposed that they - Prussian line ? They were incorporated into regular line regiment in the course of the reforms 1808-1809, but I would like the author of the post mentioned them, either separately or include in Prussian line - ( for example - Prussian line - grenadiers, musketeers, fusiliers)

It was hard for me to choose. I think there were so many wonderful regiments and generals during Napoleonic wars that it is really hard to choose the best three.

My choice:
1. French Guard!!!!

3. French line infantry, but I would have preferred Prussian fusiliers, if I could distinguish them.

In conclusion, I would like to praise all soldiers of Napoleonic wars. Russian soldiers, Austrian soldiers, Polish soldiers, German soldiers, Italian Soldiers - all fought bravely and competition between them was very strong. The most wonderful period of military history!
You are right, I forgot them or better said I wasn't aware of them. Of course I probably forgot a bunch of units, that's why I put the opion 'others' in the poll. Thank you for noticing. :)

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
An interesting task.

My choice:
1. French Guard!!!!

The French Guard that was repelled by British infantry at Waterloo ?

British infantry outfought its French counterpart throughout the Napoleonic Wars

Apr 2015
Paris
British infantry was always superior to French infantry in the Napoleonic Wars - and come to think of it, in every war where they both fought
It is very difficult to compare the overall quality of units when one side has fought 1792-1815 in almost all of Europe (at least, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Russia) and the other 1808-1815 in Portugal, Spain and France (save for the 1799 Holland invasion - british defeat by the way).

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
The French Guard that was repelled by British infantry at Waterloo ?

British infantry outfought its French counterpart throughout the Napoleonic Wars

This happened as well with Spanish infantry in the first battles with the French.

The old professional Infantry regiments of Spain, like "Guardias Valonas", "Regimiento de la Reina", "Regimiento de Jaén" etc usually outperformed their French opponents in 1808-1809. The problem for the Spanish armies was the French cavalry, which decided many battles before lost to the French infantry. The Spanish veteran units were destroyed after some battles, or decimated to be filled with raw recruits, which plunged their quality.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Before any answer, my idea is not comparing the British vs Spanish infantry, but between the old regular units and the French ones.

The French army was totally disorganized during the Revolution, and then experienced a huge expansion. Quality had to be lost somewhere, and I have the opinion that between artillery, cavalry and infantry, the later got the worst part of Revolutionary and Napoleonic attention. This is curious, because during the 16-17th centuries the French armies behaved similarly.

Almost everywhere in Europe, the French infantry found to be at disadvantage against professional, veteran enemy units. As in Spain, the French overcame their foe with their superior artillery and cavalry, or just by the mere weight of the numbers: the French could field massive armies that their enemies couldn't dream.

If Spain, Austria, Prussia got their veteran units annihilated, the British managed to keep theirs in a cohesive form, gaining massive experience, coldness and discipline (in the battlefield)... the old qualities of professional units. And the French never could match that.

Similar History Discussions