Best Fighter Aircraft of WW2

Nov 2019
United States
Make your choices whatever you will, I've included some specs on various aircraft that actually flew in combat during the war (aircraft that were not apart of serious airbattle are excluded).

United States
P-51 MUSTANG
P-38 Lightening
P-47
GRUMMAN F6F Hellcat
F4U-4 CORSAIR

British
HAWKER TYPHOON

HAWKER FURY
HAWKER HURRICANE
HAWKER TEMPEST
SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE

Soviet Union
Yakovlev YakYak-3
Mikoyan MiGMiG-3
Yakovlev YakYak-9

Japanese

MITSUBISHI A6MA6M
Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa
Nakajima Ki-84 HayHayate

Germany

Heinkel He 219
Messerschmitt Me 410
Messerschmitt Me 262
Focke Wulf Fw 190D
MESSERSCHMITT Bf 109

I've left off numerous aircraft you should feel free to discuss.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Hardly a contest

the Mustang and spitfire for the allies
Fw190 for the Germans ,
Yak 9 for the Soviets (the MIG 3 was a dog )
the Japanese Ki-84 came rather late and was already obsolete

worthy mention to the P47-Jug , the Mosquitoe and my personal favorite the Typhoon , It just look awesome

Nov 2019
United States
Hawker Fury was a 1930s biplane....View attachment 24608

I think you mean the Sea Fury, but it didnt enter service until Oct 1945, so not really a WWII aircraft
Yes indeed the Sea Fury was one of two versions of this model. Did you hit the link?
Comments: The design of the Fury was inspired by data gathered from a Fw 190 that was captured in June of 1942. The Fw 190 had had solved the cooling problem inherent in tighly cowled radial engines. The British had abandoned this line of development and focused on inline engines. With this problem solved the promise of high powered radial engines on lightweight aircraft was realized. The prototypes flew with the Centaurus, Griffon and Sabre engines and after testing the Centaurus was chosen. Boulton Paul took over the design duties for the development of the Sea Fury. The end of the war saw the RAF cancelling all of it's orders for the Fury though 65 were built for Egypt and Pakistan. The Sea Fury enjoyed a much more successful career with the Fleet Air Arm which recieved 615 aircraft. A further 245 examples were sold to Canada, The Netherlands, Australia, West Germany, Burma, Cuba and several other countries. The Sea Fury was the standard fighter-bomber of the RN, RCN and RAN units in Korea (1951-53) and flew thousands of sorties in support of ground forces. The type also managed to shoot down several Mig-15's in aerial combat. Pakistan Furies remained in service until 1973, engaging in combat operations against India.

Apr 2018
India
MiG 3? Generally took an ace flyer to make her dance. Even then it was pathetic at the usual low altitude dogfights of the Eastern Front.

Why is it in this list?

Nov 2019
United States
Here is an interesting note on aircraft in WW2; of the top 10 aces of the Soviet Union, 5 flew the greatly maligned Bell P-39 Airacobra. Generally the reason for this was that a greater percent of dogfighting occured at altitudes below 20,000 feet, in the Eastern Theater, where as in the Western Theater the majority were fought in support of high altitude bombers.

Despite it's many weaknesses, the P-39 was an interesting aircraft design, especially with the location of the engine behind the pilot.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
A lot depends on what role you are asking the Fighter to perform. In America, the Mustang had range and dogfighting ability. The P-47 was better at Ground Attack, had excellent range and could dogfight. Then you have the P-38. The Lightning had range, was good at Ground Attack. It was not great at Dogfighting. If you used the P-38 and P-47 at its best, they could take out any enemy Fighter. The P-51 was vulnerable to Ground Fire. If it were up to me, I would have all three aircraft in my Air Force.

Naval Fighters are in a different category. The need to land and take off a Carrier requires a sturdy undercarriage. These type of Fighters tend to be a bit slower and range may not be as great as a P-51, P-47 or a P-38. The Hellcat and Corsair were both excellent in Naval Service. If you are flying off a CVE, the Wildcat may be a better choice. The Corsair was kept on for many years after the war for its Ground Attack role.

Pruitt

Oct 2019
Near the dogbowl
Hardly a contest

the Mustang and spitfire for the allies
Fw190 for the Germans ,
Yak 9 for the Soviets (the MIG 3 was a dog )
the Japanese Ki-84 came rather late and was already obsolete

worthy mention to the P47-Jug , the Mosquitoe and my personal favorite the Typhoon , It just look awesome
Add Corsair and Hellcat for the Wallies.

Nov 2019
United States
MiG 3? Generally took an ace flyer to make her dance. Even then it was pathetic at the usual low altitude dogfights of the Eastern Front.

Why is it in this list?
Because it was a Russian manufactured aircraft, in fact one of the most produced aircraft of the war. I would agree that the Lavochkin La-La-5 was a better aircraft.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the Mig 1and 5 were developed as high altitude interceptors ,it was mediocre , their performance at low altitude was really bad

The soviet pilots loved the Air-cobra , it was their favorite allied fighter , above the spitfire
the King-Cobra was developed pretty much for them