Best Front Man of a Pop/Rock Group?

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Jim Morrison was a true Rock and Roll hero. Morrison had the looks, he was a rebel, and he wrote his own material along with guitarist Robby Krieger of The Doors.
Jim Morrison was charismatic man but also had psychological problems.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Jim Morrison was charismatic man but also had psychological problems.
I would in a sense disagree with that because if you think about it many of the great rock stars have had drug and alcohol issues

Jim Morrison was big into drugs but so was Mick Jagger and Keith Richards from The Rolling Stones. I don’t recall reading about Morrison having any sort of struggles with a mental illness that he was born with, perhaps along the way all the drug use affected Morrison psychologically but again drugs and rock ‘n’ roll go hand-in-hand one could say

Janice Jimmy and Jim all dead at the age of 27 and they were some of the greatest minds to have ever lived

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Janice Jimmy and Jim all dead at the age of 27 and they were some of the greatest minds to have ever lived
Well, talented performers anyway.

I think Hendrix died in time to save his reputation; at the time of his death he'd descended from the tight, focused act he had with Mitchell and Redding in 67-68 to aimless and seemingly endless noodling. He'd worked with Little Richard, too bad he didn't take a lesson from him.

I think Joplin was at her best with Big Brother and went downhill both musically and emotionally after leaving them.

I didn't like Doors anyway.

Last edited:

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Joan of Arc is right. You obviously haven''t read Janice's Theory of Relatives; Jimmy's The History and Biology of Foxy Ladies, or Jim''s Pig Million in LA!

Ok Steve, have a drink on me pal. Have a chance to listen to LA Women written by Morrison himself.

Reactions: stevev

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Jim Morrison was truly a Rock and Roll Legend. And he is of course one of the great Rockstars of the 1960s/1970s US and Europe. Morrisons spirit affected fellow Doors members John Densmore and Ray Manzerak when both pointed out Jims legacy as why they turned down a multi million dollar offer from Cadillac to use the Doors song Break on Through in a Cadillac super bowl commercial. Jim Morrison Himself as the Frontman of the Doors was a loved Frontman of his time. Jim Morrisons Dad btw was a decorated WW2 vet and Naval Officer, which makes Morrisons story all the more interesting. Here was a brilliant Frontman and Musical genus in Jim Morrison that came from a military family.. And yet Morrison would go on to be loved by Americans and Europeans and more around the world that included those known as hippies. Jim Morrison himself was truly a profound man, admired to the point of being loved in numerous ways by his fans. The Doors were one of the first bands I really got into.

I would also recommend folks to see The Doors directed by Oliver Stone and Starring Val Kilmer as Morrison. Kilmer did a good job in portraying Morrison IMO and The Doors was IMO one of Stones finest works.

The Doors played a role in the rise of Psychedelic Rock and in Rock and Roll itself. In the 1960s there was in England The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, The Who and more. But in the USA it was The Doors and The Beach Boys. There were other greats such as CCR but I think its The Beach Boys and The Doors that led American Rock and Roll in the 1960s at least as groups.

The Greatest American Rock Bands

The Doors Reflect on Earliest Concerts, Jim Morrison's Genius

In 1967 prior to a live performance of Light my Fire on The Ed Sullivan Show The Doors were asked to change there lyrics on Light My fire as part of the songs lyrics apparently was viewed as offensive. In the end Jim Morrison refused to give in and in the live performance did not alter the lyrics of Light My Fire. That is the kind of man Morrison was, raised by a WW2 Veteran and Morrison was his own boss the kind of thing one can admire.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Looking back to the late 6Os it seems to me that the most influential American bands of the time are Blue Cheer, the MC5 and the Stooges. Though no doubt many who've been profoundly influenced by those bands are unaware of it.

I think the greatest Rock and Rollers were the mid and late 50s people--Elvis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley etc. and of course a host of Doo Wop groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevev
Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I have three women frontmen I would like to mention: Lzzy Hale of Halestorm; Taylor Momsen of the Pretty Restless; and Joan Jett. One good frontman is George Thorogood of the Destroyers. I have seen them all (except Joan) in Houston. Good Times!

Pruitt