Best Historical Children's Films?

Oct 2014
California, USA
What are your favorite films for kids set in the past--I'm looking for ones that are entertaining, and, while I'm not expecting absolute accuracy (magic and mythical elements are fine), accurate enough in general to not make a history lover cringe?

Last edited:
May 2016
Essex
Bill - made by the team who did Horrible Histories... generally pretty good too. Comedic but it does stay fairly legit (if they do slip in the odd gag)

May 2011
New Iberia, La.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland

Sorry mate 'Come and See' and 'Pans Labyrinth' I would not allow children to watch!

May 2011
New Iberia, La.
Sorry mate 'Come and See' and 'Pans Labyrinth' I would not allow children to watch!
I am so sorry. I thought you were asking for films that featured children, not films for children. In that case, never mind. I was going to keep "Hope and Glory" as a recommendation, but even it is a bit risque in a spot.

Oct 2014
California, USA
I am so sorry. I thought you were asking for films that featured children, not films for children. In that case, never mind. I was going to keep "Hope and Glory" as a recommendation, but even it is a bit risque in a spot.

A bit risque is ok as long as I know ahead of time and can preview for it (maybe figure out if the worst scenes can be skipped). :)

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
The Machine Gunners is a great mini-series from children's TV in the 70s about life on the home front for children ww2.

Last edited:

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
He did say 'for kids' so I assume that's how he meant it, not just historical films with children as characters. 'Come and See' and 'Pans Labyrinth' are both excellent films but not exactly for the young viewer.

'Cowboys' with John Wayne the one with children 'cowboys'?

(If so what is the connection to Paul Walker movie?)