Best historical movies of the last decade with a medieval/ancient setting

Mar 2016
Australia
I'm watching the TV series "In the name of the rose". It's an Italian/German production but with English dialogue and John Torturro as William of Baskerville. I've only seen the first two episode, but I think it's rather good.

The Name of the Rose (miniseries) - Wikipedia
The Name of the Rose (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb
Promo trailer: the name of the rose tv series promo - Bing video
How does it compare with the film? Is it closer to the novel than the film is, considering it doesn't have to condense the story as much?

Oct 2015
Norway
How does it compare with the film? Is it closer to the novel than the film is, considering it doesn't have to condense the story as much?
I've only seen a few episodes, but I think both the film and the minis-series are worth watching. Turtorro does a good William of Baskervilles, but Connery's charisma and star power is hard to beat. The mini-series stretches the story out more, including more of Adso's backstory and the political backdrop of the plot.

Mar 2016
Australia
and the political backdrop of the plot.
That's great to hear. The political stuff about the Pope and the Emperor was, in my opinion, the most interesting thing in the book. I was disappointed it wasn't in the film, although I understand why it was cut, since it isn't strictly necessary for the basic story.