Best militaries of the colonial era?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I should’ve been more clear. What i meant was out of Asia (excluding Japan), Africa, and native Americans, from the 1600s to the end of the scramble for africa, who had the best military?
Why excluding Japan? For most of the period you're talking about, until 1868, Japan was a closed country with stagnant, 16th century technology. Whem the Americans arrived there in the 19th century, they were still using matchlock arquebuses.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
and What about Turks... Afghans...Rifeños...I think Rifeños (North Morocco tribes are one of best soldiers on Earth)...the most condecorate units in French and Spanish Armies (from 20th Century onwar) are the Moroccan troops! My father spoke Cherha language (Rifeños language) and he told me they are one of best soldiers on Earth.. they only need discipline.
Regulares (in Spanish Army) or the régiment de Marche du Maroc (the best french Unit in 1914-1918 and 1939-1945... not the Foreign Legion... but the Moroccan infantry...)and between the Moroccan tribes... the thougher warriors are the Rifeños.

I should’ve been more clear. What i meant was out of Asia (excluding Japan), Africa, and native Americans, from the 1600s to the end of the scramble for africa, who had the best military?
Ottomans
Safavid Persia
One of the Indian armies i.e Mysore, Maratha or Mughal

These were the armies who came closest to replicating the superior European armies

May 2018
On earth.
Why excluding Japan? For most of the period you're talking about, until 1868, Japan was a closed country with stagnant, 16th century technology. Whem the Americans arrived there in the 19th century, they were still using matchlock arquebuses.
I'm asking about countries who were either colonized or were forced to repel colonial expansion into their territory. I don't think Japan falls into either, and, infact, didn't they become a colonial power in the end?

Similar History Discussions