Best military accounts/books of the 7 greatest commanders according to Napoleon?

Jul 2013
America
So for Frederick the Great some writers I know are Jay Luvaas, Dennis Showalter, Reed Browning, Claus Telp, Christopher Duffy, Robert Asprey and Simon Millar. Look those guys up on Amazon :)

Theodore Ayrault Dodge is a new one for me. I should look into it. There are also a few German and French authors that I have heard of.
Thanks so much, any recommendations for Turenne?

Jul 2013
America
Dodge has a good Hannibal book.

Publius has suggested some good Hannibal ones, though Hannibal's War by Lazenby I think is my favorite and more detailed.

Stephen English has some good ones on Alexander's sieges and field campaigns.
How is Dodge's book on Gustavus Adolphus?

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I can't seem to recall any books specifically about Turenne.
I do recall one or two books that cover the subject, just wish I could remember what they were.

There was an old historical fiction book called "Won By the Sword" which was about the Thirty Years War and had Turenne and Conde as characters. Probably not what you are looking for though :persevere:

Last edited:
Jul 2013
America
I can't seem to recall any books specifically about Turenne.
I do recall one or two books that cover the subject, just wish I could remember what they were.

There was an old historical fiction book called "Won By the Sword" which was about the Thirty Years War and had Turenne and Conde as characters. Probably not what you are looking for though :persevere:
Ha, no, sorry to say not what I'm looking for.

Have you heard of the Marshall Turenne by Thomas Longueville at all?

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
If you really want a look at campaigns:

Caesar, Alexander, Hannibal- T.A. Dodge's works. Caesar's own primary source, his Commentaries, are good as well.

Frederick- a name that hasn't been mentioned yet- David Fraser.

Turenne- for him, I got a lot out of T.A. Dodge's work on Gustavus Adolphus, which includes the campaigns of other generals of the period.

Napoleon- Chandler, but countless other good works/authors as well. These include Adam Zamoyski, Michael Leggiere, Dominic Lieven, Andrew Roberts, and Loraine Petre. Among these, Lieven, Leggiere, and Petre are the military historians (not to mention Chandler, of course).

Jul 2013
America
If you really want a look at campaigns:

Caesar, Alexander, Hannibal- T.A. Dodge's works. Caesar's own primary source, his Commentaries, are good as well.

Frederick- a name that hasn't been mentioned yet- David Fraser.

Turenne- for him, I got a lot out of T.A. Dodge's work on Gustavus Adolphus, which includes the campaigns of other generals of the period.

Napoleon- Chandler, but countless other good works/authors as well. These include Adam Zamoyski, Michael Leggiere, Dominic Lieven, Andrew Roberts, and Loraine Petre. Among these, Lieven, Leggiere, and Petre are the military historians (not to mention Chandler, of course).
Cool. What were your thoughts on Dodge's Gustavus? And have you read the Marshall Turenne?

Any recommendations for Eugene?

And what would you say is the greatest military account of Napoleon's campaigns? Is it Chandler?

Also, what would you recommend in regards to Wellingon, or is he not good enough to be studied alongside the great military captains of history?