Best military accounts/books of the 7 greatest commanders according to Napoleon?

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Ha, no, sorry to say not what I'm looking for.

Have you heard of the Marshall Turenne by Thomas Longueville at all?
Yes this is an old book. There are lots of old books especially in French.
Can you read French?

Cool. What were your thoughts on Dodge's Gustavus? And have you read the Marshall Turenne?

Any recommendations for Eugene?

And what would you say is the greatest military account of Napoleon's campaigns? Is it Chandler?

Also, what would you recommend in regards to Wellingon, or is he not good enough to be studied alongside the great military captains of history?
I prefer books that cover a specific campaign or war. So for the 1809 campaign nothing beats the 3 book series Thunder on the Danube. If each book is like 400 pages and there are 3 of them, that's a lot of information! :zany:

Though I have read guys like Andrew Roberts, John Elting and David Chandler.

Jul 2013
America
Yes this is an old book. There are lots of old books especially in French.
Can you read French?

I prefer books that cover a specific campaign or war. So for the 1809 campaign nothing beats the 3 book series Thunder on the Danube. If each book is like 400 pages and there are 3 of them, that's a lot of information! :zany:

Though I have read guys like Andrew Roberts, John Elting and David Chandler.
Can't speak French unfortunately, can you recommend anything a bit more recent in English?

Wow. Pretty crazy stuff. I just ordered a copy of Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, and that happens to be 1100 pages from what I understand.

Viperlord

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
VA
How would you say it compares to David Chandler's Marlborough as Military Commander?
Somewhat less content on Marlborough the general (not that it's especially lacking in that regard, but it's certainly not micro-tactical) and more on Marlborough the man.

Wow. Pretty crazy stuff. I just ordered a copy of Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, and that happens to be 1100 pages from what I understand.
That book is the best argument for e-readers that I've ever encountered.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Can't speak French unfortunately, can you recommend anything a bit more recent in English?

chandler covers a lot of ground it's not that big once you look at whats covering.

thunder on the danube three weighty tomes on the 1809 Austrian campaign are more detailed; as big as chandler easily and just then campaign.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
I might have trouble handling Thunder on the Danube, but I might give it a shot at some point. I hear they are rather pricey too.

Jul 2013
America
I was just looking at Dodge's work on Gustavus Adolphus, exactly how much of it is actually dedicate to Gustavus? Looking through the index, it seems like it's more so a campaign history of Turenne, Eugene, Conde and Gustavus rather than a study of Gustavus, any comment anyone?

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
chandler covers a lot of ground it's not that big once you look at whats covering.

thunder on the danube three weighty tomes on the 1809 Austrian campaign are more detailed; as big as chandler easily and just then campaign.
Agreed. Chandler and Elting are tackling the entire war in their books. It's only a couple dozen pages per war. Not bad books and good for understanding what was going down. But Thunder on the Danube is about 1200 pages for the 1809 war alone. It is a must have. I actually have another book series on the Russian campaign but very hard to find now a days.

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada

I remember two books in English that dealt with multiple campaigns and generals. Turenne was one of the guys covered. Can't remember what the books were. Unfortunately I don't know of any recent books in English that cover this general. A real shame because this was one of the greats. Possibly better than Gustavus (1630-1632) at his peak which was far shorter than Turenne's peak (1658-1675) though both died in battle.

Jul 2013
America
I remember two books in English that dealt with multiple campaigns and generals. Turenne was one of the guys covered. Can't remember what the books were. Unfortunately I don't know of any recent books in English that cover this general. A real shame because this was one of the greats. Possibly better than Gustavus (1630-1632) at his peak which was far shorter than Turenne's peak (1658-1675) though both died in battle.
Ok, no problem, thanks anyways.

I just picked up Dodge's Gustavus Adolphus, where in volume 2 he discusses other generals like Turenne and Conde and Marlborough with Eugene. Any thoughts on that book in particular?

Jul 2013
America
And also, (1) should I read a background book on the thirty years war, like the thirty years war by Peter H. Wilson? Or would Dodge suffice for that period?

And (2) do you agree with Napoleon's list of generals, if not, who would you replace or omit?