Best military accounts/books of the 7 greatest commanders according to Napoleon?

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
Ok, no problem, thanks anyways.

I just picked up Dodge's Gustavus Adolphus, where in volume 2 he discusses other generals like Turenne and Conde and Marlborough with Eugene. Any thoughts on that book in particular?
Huh apparently the book that I remember was in fact the Dodge book. Here I was thinking that I never heard of the guy. It is an old book though from like 1890. Seems like a great book though.

Lord Oda Nobunaga

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
And also, (1) should I read a background book on the thirty years war, like the thirty years war by Peter H. Wilson? Or would Dodge suffice for that period?

And (2) do you agree with Napoleon's list of generals, if not, who would you replace or omit?
I can pretty much agree with Napoleon's list though he should have included Marlborough imo. At least as far as the absolute best Western generals. You could add a few Middle Easterners and Asians in there I think.

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
And also, (1) should I read a background book on the thirty years war, like the thirty years war by Peter H. Wilson? Or would Dodge suffice for that period?

And (2) do you agree with Napoleon's list of generals, if not, who would you replace or omit?
For the 2nd, Marlborough is the obvious choice for an addition.

Thirty Years War- although it's a bit dated, I actually prefer Wedgewood's work over the the Thirty Years War to Wilson's. It's hardly any less nuanced than Wilson's, but the writing style keeps one better hooked, IMO.

Jul 2013
America
For the 2nd, Marlborough is the obvious choice for an addition.

Thirty Years War- although it's a bit dated, I actually prefer Wedgewood's work over the the Thirty Years War to Wilson's. It's hardly any less nuanced than Wilson's, but the writing style keeps one better hooked, IMO.

Do you think Dodge's chapters on Marlborough in Gustavus would suffice? Or should I pick up Chandler's 'Marlborough as Military Commander'?

Thanks.

Also, do you think I should read Wedgewood or would it be fine heading into the book blind?

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Do you think Dodge's chapters on Marlborough in Gustavus would suffice? Or should I pick up Chandler's 'Marlborough as Military Commander'?

Thanks.

Also, do you think I should read Wedgewood or would it be fine heading into the book blind?
Chandler's writing on Marlborough is better, IMO.

Read Wedgewood.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.

Thanks.

Chandler wrote several books on Marlborough, including "Marlborough as military commander" "The art of warfare in the age of Marlborough", "Blenheim Preparation". All of which are worth reading. Maybe read "the art of warfare" first as it will give you a good insight of how wars/battles were conducted in the late 17th early 18th centuries and the problems Marlborough would have faced.

There's also Richard Holmes' "Marlborough Britain's Greatest General" that's well worth a look.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
I've always suspected Napoleon missed him off the list as he couldn't bring himself to offer any form of praise towards his main enemy.

Jul 2013
America
Chandler wrote several books on Marlborough, including "Marlborough as military commander" "The art of warfare in the age of Marlborough", "Blenheim Preparation". All of which are worth reading. Maybe read "the art of warfare" first as it will give you a good insight of how wars/battles were conducted in the late 17th early 18th centuries and the problems Marlborough would have faced.

There's also Richard Holmes' "Marlborough Britain's Greatest General" that's well worth a look.
Thank you so much, do you have any other recommendations? Especially in regards to Frederick the Great?