• Confederates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Germany

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Jun 2010
Fallingwater
How would you rank the military performance of the following

Athens in the Peloponnesian War (431- 404 BC)
Carthage in the Second Punic War (218 - 201 BC)
Sweden in the Great Northern War (1700-1721)
Confederates in the American Civil War (1861-1865)
Germany in WWII (1939 - 1945)

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
To the victors goes the spoils. I have to give an edge to the victors. So, Sweden ranks first. Germany ha a formidable fighting force that would have won against a lesser allied opponent. The same holds for Carthage. The CSA would be next, followed by Athens, although the latter two could be flipped.

Mar 2018
UK
To the victors goes the spoils. I have to give an edge to the victors. So, Sweden ranks first. Germany ha a formidable fighting force that would have won against a lesser allied opponent. The same holds for Carthage. The CSA would be next, followed by Athens, although the latter two could be flipped.
Pretty sure Sweden lost the great northern war, no?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
They all lost in the end, on that list.

If there's something setting the Sweden slightly appart it might be that it was actually attacked by a coalition in 1700, and so it didn't initiate that war.

Reactions: Rodger
Mar 2018
UK
Going with Carthage.
Same for me. Carthage really wasn't in a position to win the 2nd Punic War, and starting it was stupid. They had no navy, less wealth, less population and less martially orientated society than Rome. The fact that the war doesn't look ludicrously one sided shows how well they really did. Rather makes up for their abysmal performance in the first war where they did have most of the advantages.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Yes. My mistake. I was thinking of the Polish Deluge, a few years earlier.
Sweden sorta lost that one too.

It's a weird one, since Charles X in the end found himself defeated by a coalition of half-or-Europe, but still walked way with the largest and most lasting territorial gains in the nation's history.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
Can't figure out who was the best but the Confederates were the worst. Except for the war of attrition that took place in Virginia, the Confederacy really never won anywhere else. Historians are now saying that they really lost the war in the West, on the Mississippi R., in TN, in GA.

Reactions: macon