Best movies about the English Civil Wars?

Dec 2009
Canada
Kind of interesting that a Brit asked about the best US civil war movies, so following from Earl of Rochester's thread, I as a North American would like to ask the question; what are the best movies about the English Civil Wars?

The ones which I have seen and for the most part enjoyed was Cromwell, To Kill a King, and then the miniseries The Devil's Whore (or Mistress as it was shown in the US).

I'd say the only one I didn't enjoy as much was Cromwell, but that's because it felt somewhat dated. It was still a good film though.

I've also seen Witchfinder General, but I don't really consider that to be an ECW movie, even if it's set in the time period, given that it's more of a horror flick.

Are there any that have a more favourable position of the Royalist cause?

BenSt

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Canada, originally Clwyd, N.Wales
I really enjoyed The Devil's Whore. I thought Peter Capaldi really captured Charles II.

There's also, although indirectly, a surreal thriller called: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Field_in_England]A Field in England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moonraker]The Moonraker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Its a bit of dumb swashbuckler but its great fun, trying to smuggle Chuck the 2nd out of England as assorted roundheads pursue him to a coastal inn.

Oct 2013
Montreal, QC
A Field in England is probably the strangest movie I've ever viewed. Some deserters after an ECW battle run off to find a pub, but get high on mushrooms. There was probably some really pretentious deeper meaning behind it, but I didn't understand it. The cinematography was amazing, though, and the outfits were impressive. I realise it was supposed to be a thriller, but I was in tears from laughing for quite a bit of it. It wasn't funny, per se, but it was weird.

The ending was absolute madness. Listen to TE: Your brain will melt.

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
A Field in England is probably the strangest movie I've ever viewed. Some deserters after an ECW battle run off to find a pub, but get high on mushrooms. There was probably some really pretentious deeper meaning behind it, but I didn't understand it. The cinematography was amazing, though, and the outfits were impressive. I realise it was supposed to be a thriller, but I was in tears from laughing for quite a bit of it. It wasn't funny, per se, but it was weird.

The ending was absolute madness. Listen to TE: Your brain will melt.
I haven't actually seen it yet. It was playing at my local repertory theatre last year. When it comes back I'll catch it. I'm saving that one for the big screen.

BenSt

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
My brain melted a long time ago. Good thing I'm a Changeling and my natural state is liquid :)

This is really dredging the bottom of the barrel, but there's also the classical mini-special episode of Black-Adder: The Cavalier Years

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder:_The_Cavalier_Years]Blackadder: The Cavalier Years - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

which is, freely available on Youtube...

BenSt

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
There seems to be a lot more about the Restoration. I can think off the top of my head half a dozen movies to do with that, some examples:

Charles II: The Power and the Passion
The First Churchills
The Libertine

Similar History Discussions