Best Robin Hood film?

Mar 2010
New York
Definitely Men in Tights. Prince of Thieves would have been better if Kevin Costner hadn't played Robin Hood. I can't stand him in any of his movies because of how boring he is.

Definitely the Errol Flynn version. It had high spirits, green tights, Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone as "Guy of Gisborne" and some of the best swordplay ever choreographed.

It had Olivia De Havilland (thankfully still alive at 101-and my first crush) as well as Alan Hale Sr as Little John. A piece of trivia. Hale was the only person to play the same character in like movies in three decades. His son-Alan Hale Jr-also made a Robin Hood movie as well.

Jan 2018
San Antonio
IMO nothing even compares to The Adventures of Robin Hood. Warners at it’s finest and shot in Glorious Technicolor. I’ve seen good prints of this in theaters and the early heavily saturated Technicolor dazzled me. The writing is clever and witty, the direction straightforward and the acting superb at all levels, from Flynn, Rathbone and DeHaviland down to small parts like Una O’Connor and Montagu Love.

And a great score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold to boot.

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Another vote for Robin and Marian, with Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn, Robert Shaw, Richard Harris, Nicole Williamson, Ian Holm, etc. Fabulous film.

Matthew

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
It has to be Flynn, not just the best Robin Hood film but one of the all time great achievements of the Hollywood studio system, everybody involved on and off screen was at the top of their game. Its production history is fascinating in itself, without it MGM would never have made 'The Wizard of Oz'.

That said I also love the Richard Todd Disney movie and I've got a soft spot for Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman who were overshadowed by Kevin Costner.

For TV it has to be 'Robin of Sherwood' and an honourable mention for the BBC's 1975 downbeat adaptation with Martin Potter (which loses points for its amazingly passive version of Marian). 'Maid Marian and her Merry Men' is also definitely right up there and on a par with Richard Greene and the coterie of blacklisted American writers that gave British TV its first international hit.

I could go on all day but I've done that elsewhere so here are the links if you're interested (apologies for formatting issues, something to do with the archiving process that What Culture use).

'Rise and Rise Again' - 100 Years of ROBIN HOOD: Part One
'Rise and Rise Again' - 100 YEARS OF ROBIN HOOD: Part Two

Similar History Discussions