Best Robin Hood film?

Mar 2007
Philadelphia
Another vote for Robin and Marian, with Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn, Robert Shaw, Richard Harris, Nicole Williamson, Ian Holm, etc. Fabulous film.
Ditto this.

Robin and Marian with Connery as an aging Robin Hood and Audrey Hepburn as an aging Maid Marian is my favorite movie in the genre.

What I like about it is that Robin is not the invincible hero of his youth. The same with Robert Shaw as the Sheriff. During their duel scene the two of them pretty much collapse from exhaustion.

The last scene is one of the most romantic I've ever seen. As Robin and Marian are dying, Robin shoots an arrow out a window and tells Little John to bury them where it lands.

The movie was directed by Richard Lester, the same guy who did The Three Musketeers Parts I and II, starring Michael York, Oliver Reed, Charlton Heston and Raquel Welch. Like Lester's Musketeer films, Robin and Marian contains a lot of nice, humorous touches.

The opening scene is a classic. Richard the Lionheart is sieging a city and watching his men load a catapult. Throughout the opening the men struggle to load the machine and arm it. After a long process, when they go to fire it, the rock goes all of 2 feet. The movie is filled with droll scenes like that, that are guaranteed to make you smile.

Aug 2015
uk
Another vote for Robin of Sherwood; brilliant series and a very sexy Marian. Also the chemistry between the Sheriff and Gisburn is brilliant.

If it has to be a film then it must be Disney's Robin Hood. Too late to be known as John the First...

Jan 2018
San Antonio
The opening scene is a classic. Richard the Lionheart is sieging a city and watching his men load a catapult. Throughout the opening the men struggle to load the machine and arm it. After a long process, when they go to fire it, the rock goes all of 2 feet.
A very good scene; when I think of this movie I think of this scene.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I’ve always enjoyed Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves. Best baddy guy by a country mile, Alan Rickman at his senery chewing best. :lol:
The rest of the film is a master class of unintentional comedy, from Costners accent to shaky geography( landing at Dover and reaching Nottingham later the same day on foot) it manages to get everything wrong, but somehow, surprising even me, it remains fun to watch.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Norway
I like the Flynn version and the Disney version where Robin is a fox!

By the way: A movie titled "Marion" will be filmed this year starring Margot Robbie. Robin Hood has died and Lady Marion continues in the fight for freedom and justice :D

Last edited:
Feb 2017
Devon, UK
I don't know about being the 'best' Robin Hood films but here's a couple of reminders that RH is not (despite being supposedly a Saxon) confined to the Anglosphere

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
A quick list (as I hadn't noticed this thread before)
The Errol Flynn one for sheer style, and for the best archery thanks to Howard Hill's contribution (Google if you don't know the name)
For TV - The first two series of Robin of Sherwood, I didn't mind the mystical Herne stuff too much (must be a bit of an old hippy). A lovely Marian, as someone said.
The Patrick Bergin film that came out the same year as the Costner one is, for me, preferable to the latter.
Robin & Marian (Connery/Hepburn) as something different, and maybe the best as a drama.
The new one (judging by youtube clips) looks very silly.
There is another new one this year too, looks less silly but rather low budget and maybe not great acting.
Overall - if I'm in a serious mood Robin & Marian, otherwise Robin of Sherwood for the dream of youth in the summer forest.

Similar History Discussions