Best Robin Hood film?

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
I agree. And great villains too. Whilst Alan Rickman was undoubtedly a brilliant Sheriff, so too was Nickolas Grace. The music by Clannad was awesome too and mixing Robin Hood with pagan mythology was an interesting mix.
I agree with that, and the previous post. The pagan, Herne, stuff is, maybe, a sort of extension of the forest theme which is in the early ballads
"
In somer, when the shawes be sheyne,
And leves be large and long,
Hit is full mery in feyre foreste
To here the foulys song,

To se the dere draw to the dale,
And leve the hilles hee,
And shadow hem in the leves grene,
Under the grene wode tre. " (Robin Hood and the Monk)
A Robin Hood version in which the forest isn't prominent (like the new film I think) doesn't do it for me.

Incidentally, here's the trailer for the other new film -

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The best Robin Hood films are the ones that have the nastiest villains, I've never been able to work up any enthusiasm for the green-tighted hero and his crew.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I agree. And great villains too. Whilst Alan Rickman was undoubtedly a brilliant Sheriff, so too was Nickolas Grace. The music by Clannad was awesome too and mixing Robin Hood with pagan mythology was an interesting mix.
Yeah, the late Alan Rickman was a great character actor ,and one of the best film villains of his time---the guy could speak without moving his bottom lip. :)

Feb 2011
Scotland
Mel Brooks' 'When Things were Rotten' was an entertaining entry to the TV version and also the Disney film where they were all portrayed as various animals.

The least acceptable Robin Hood element is always the portrayal of 'Good King Richard' when he was (albeit a brave man) one of the crummiest monarchs ever to blight England.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland

The least acceptable Robin Hood element is always the portrayal of 'Good King Richard' when he was (albeit a brave man) one of the crummiest monarchs ever to blight England.
Richard was at the time considered to the very model of what a King should be, even today many historians have a very high opinion of him.

John on the other hand is generally considered a bloody awful King.

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
It's always going to be Prince of Thrives with Kevin Costner for me. Just goes to show that it ain't always about a big budget or special effects. It's about a good script and good acting
Strangely enough (or maybe not) that's pretty much the exact opposite of the way I see 'Prince of Thieves', it did have a comparatively large budget, it did make more use of special effects than most RH movies and the script and acting were distinctly below par. The best thing about it was Michael Kamen's score.

Similar History Discussions