Best Robin Hood film?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Richard was liked and feared too much to have had such a thing thrust upon him. I wonder how the barons would have reacted to John being ransomed? Probably they'd have paid his captors NOT to release him!

I thought he might have reacted to Magna Carta much the same way Hitler would have reacted Gandhi's tactics in India. Or is that too fanciful? Could he have gotten away with having the most vocal of the Barons arrested for treason and executed? Could John have possibly done something like that.?.

Without Magna Carta, the non aristocracy would barely notice, if at all; The concept was never about the rights of the common people. It was to protect the Barons from the king.

Aug 2015
uk
I thought he might have reacted to Magna Carta much the same way Hitler would have reacted Gandhi's tactics in India. Or is that too fanciful? Could he have gotten away with having the most vocal of the Barons arrested for treason and executed? Could John have possibly done something like that.?.

Without Magna Carta, the non aristocracy would barely notice, if at all; The concept was never about the rights of the common people. It was to protect the Barons from the king.
Yes, when you read Magna Carta it is mainly about covering the backs of the rich, titled and landowners against the whims of the king - very little to assert the rights of the peasants who the barons wanted to stay under their control.

John was that special kind of person who is able to make pretty much everyone despise him. He couldn't be trusted and he was - for a king - relatively weak. John was one for agreeing peace deals then stabbing his former enemies in the back; Richard was more likely to take a band of knights and take matters in his own hands. The lion-heart was a formidable warrior, not someone you would want to mess with.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yes, when you read Magna Carta it is mainly about covering the backs of the rich, titled and landowners against the whims of the king - very little to assert the rights of the peasants who the barons wanted to stay under their control.

John was that special kind of person who is able to make pretty much everyone despise him. He couldn't be trusted and he was - for a king - relatively weak. John was one for agreeing peace deals then stabbing his former enemies in the back; Richard was more likely to take a band of knights and take matters in his own hands. The lion-heart was a formidable warrior, not someone you would want to mess with.

Yeah. I have copy of the text Magna Carta in front of me right now***. There are 63 articles. These days people are only concerned with what they misperceive as the rights of Habeus Corpus in Magna Cara

The Habeus Corpus rights we enjoy today (except if you're American) come from Habeus Corpus in Magna Carta PLUS the Habeus the Corpus Acts of 1640 and 1679.

"Although King John’s Magna Carta did guarantee protection from unlawful imprisonment, it did not establish a process by which a person might sue for his freedom. The association between Magna Carta’s protection and the writ of habeas corpus only took root in the seventeenth century following the conflict between the House of Commons and King Charles I, after which the writ of habeas corpus became one of the most important privileges associated with English liberties. It was reaffirmed in the Habeas Corpus Acts of 1640 and 1679 and appears frequently in discussions of constitutional rights throughout the era leading to American independence. It is one of the fundamental liberties mentioned in the body of the United States Constitution."

The Library of Congress > Exhibitions > Magna Carta: Muse and Mentor > Writ of Habeas Corpus

***my reference: "1215 THE YEAR OF MAGNA CARTA" Danny Danziger & John Gillingham. Hodder and Stoughton, Britain, 2003

May 2011
Navan, Ireland

At the time and afterwards Richard was held up as a great King-- one of the reasons was that you didn't mess with him.

However he could also be a leader much more so than John.

For instance he ,successfully rebels against his aged father in order to take the throne (that's what princes did!) one by one Henry II's supporter change sides until Henry has only two Knights one of whom is William Marshal.

Richards tries to capture his ill father but as he chases him he finds a ford blocked by Henry II's last two soldiers--including Marshal.

Richards demands passage as the 'rightful King' , Marshal refuses and instead charges against seemingly impossible odds-- Richard is in trouble he's not full armour and Marshal is going straight for him but at the last moment Richard lowers his lance and kills Richards horse instead, sending the future King tumbling into the river.

William makes his escape but when he makes it back to Henry II the King has died, his retainers fled and his bodied dumped and abandoned. He retrieves the body finds a wagon and sets off the the abbey that is to be the Kings burial place.

He meets Richards force and explains what he is doing and that he'll cut his way through their force single handed if he has to complete the last task to his King.

He is allowed to go.

Soon he is called to King Richards side ----- know I can only guess but my impression of John is that he would have been vindictive (and foolish) and punished William Marshal for his defiance.

Richards confirms him in all his lands and thanks him for the loyalty he showed his father and lauds as a model Knight.

Very honourable, very smart politically.

Dec 2015
USA
So far the greatest scene in all of the Robin Hood films I have seen is the following. From Robin Hood Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman. This scene shows us Robin having a sort of argument with Will Scarlett about how to handle things. But the way Robin Hood defends himself and his honor, and how Robin wins over his people is truly inspiring. Its one of the greatest film scenes I have watched,