Best Roman History Books?

May 2015
Ohio
I've become pretty interested in the Romans lately. Does anyone know a good general history of them that isn't difficult to read?

Jan 2014
Florida
A History of Rome Down to the Reign of Constantine is one of the, if not the best one volume history of Rome out there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/History-Rome-Down-Reign-Constantine/dp/0312383959/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433193758&sr=8-1&keywords=cary+and+scullard"]Amazon.com: A History of Rome: Down to the Reign of Constantine (9780312383954): M. Cary, H. H. Scullard: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WdHDYunLL.@@AMEPARAM@@61WdHDYunLL[/ame]

cachibatches

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
I always go with the originals, and Cassius Dio is the most complete (well, up until the early third century of course).

Salah

Historum Emeritas
Oct 2009
Maryland
Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy is going to be a solid history. He's written biographies of Caesar, Augustus, and Antony and Cleopatra, as well as histories of the Roman army and the later Empire. How Rome Fell is a classic.

May 2015
Ohio
Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy is going to be a solid history. He's written biographies of Caesar, Augustus, and Antony and Cleopatra, as well as histories of the Roman army and the later Empire. How Rome Fell is a classic.
I checked this guys books on my library's catalog and I have to say quite impressive looking. Certainly will be looking into his books.

Jan 2014
Florida
I agree with Goldsworthy. One of the great things about him is that even though his works are aimed at a popular audience they are academically rigorous enough that you will see his books referenced in academic works. A rare combination that can only be achieved by the best of writers.

Jan 2014
Portugal
Pierre Grimal is a great author too for Classical/Roman History.
Titles:
- Roman Empire
- Roman Civilization
- August's Century

He has also translations of classics, books about Latin language, and several many others.

Feb 2015
washington
Couldn't agree anymore, I own two of his books(will soon buy a third) and they are both magnificently written. He knows what hes talking about and it shows.