Best Roman History Books?

Jan 2014
Florida
A History of Rome Down to the Reign of Constantine is one of the, if not the best one volume history of Rome out there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/History-Rome-Down-Reign-Constantine/dp/0312383959/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433193758&sr=8-1&keywords=cary+and+scullard"]Amazon.com: A History of Rome: Down to the Reign of Constantine (9780312383954): M. Cary, H. H. Scullard: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WdHDYunLL.@@AMEPARAM@@61WdHDYunLL[/ame]

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy is going to be a solid history. He's written biographies of Caesar, Augustus, and Antony and Cleopatra, as well as histories of the Roman army and the later Empire. How Rome Fell is a classic.

May 2015
Ohio
Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy is going to be a solid history. He's written biographies of Caesar, Augustus, and Antony and Cleopatra, as well as histories of the Roman army and the later Empire. How Rome Fell is a classic.
I checked this guys books on my library's catalog and I have to say quite impressive looking. Certainly will be looking into his books.

Jan 2014
Florida
I agree with Goldsworthy. One of the great things about him is that even though his works are aimed at a popular audience they are academically rigorous enough that you will see his books referenced in academic works. A rare combination that can only be achieved by the best of writers.

Jan 2014
Portugal
Pierre Grimal is a great author too for Classical/Roman History.
Titles:
- Roman Empire
- Roman Civilization
- August's Century

He has also translations of classics, books about Latin language, and several many others.

Feb 2015
washington
Couldn't agree anymore, I own two of his books(will soon buy a third) and they are both magnificently written. He knows what hes talking about and it shows.

Similar History Discussions