Best Spartan Generals Poll

Best Spartan Generals

• Total voters

Alcibiades

Ad Honoris
Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
The OP is self-explanatory.Who do you think was the best Spartan general?Multiple choices are allowed.:)
Alcibiades

Aug 2010
Central Macedonia
Although I lost my interest in Athenian and Spartan Generals long ago, since I am Macedonian (Greek of course, not to be confused with the Former Yugoslav Republic), If I had to vote for one Spartan General, that would be Lysander (pronounced Lysanthros)

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Lysander was a great "politician" and a superb navarch, but his lack of land battle victories should ot allow him to be alone at the top. Please review in depth the Cleomenean War. With nothing such as his forbears had at their disposal, Cleomenes III reaorganized the extinct Spartan military, reinstituted the disciplines of the past, and equipped them in the modern fashion. Afterwards, with the changes in place, Cleomenes III dismantled the Achaean League, crushing three Achaean armies, eliminating garrisons from multiple cities and towns, ravaging the countryside, and siezing Corinth and Argos. Only when Aratus betrayed his own people by inviting the Macedonians into the Peloponnese, was Cleomenes III defeated by a combined Achaean-Macedonian force.

Cleomenes III is most definately one of the best commanders ever produced by the city. Agesilaos II's ability to break with te Spartan norm puts him just a gnat's hair behind him. However, for this poll I will chose Cleomenes III for his vision and success, and Lysander for his taking his people to the next level in the Great War. If Cleomenes III would have been able to win at Sellasia, he would have been the undisputed ruler of this poll.

Reactions: Constantine V

Alcibiades

Ad Honoris
Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
Although I lost my interest in Athenian and Spartan Generals long ago, since I am Macedonian (Greek of course, not to be confused with the Former Yugoslav Republic), If I had to vote for one Spartan General, that would be Lysander (pronounced Lysanthros)
And Theban ones?:squinting:
Alcibiades

Alcibiades

Ad Honoris
Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
I'm giddy....please wait while my head explodes.:zany:
Hmmm,your next post does not show that.C'mon,this is SPARTAns!!!:)cool:) we are talking about.I expected your post to be at least twice as longer.:notrust::lol:
Alcibiades

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
All anyone seems to be voting from is the Peloponnesian War with no thought to the hundreds of years of history that surrounds that one event..sigh.