Best Spartan Generals Poll

Best Spartan Generals

• Total voters
May 2012
Nonbeing which is to say everywhere
He was a mercenary and did not fight for spartans.

Carthage was in dire situation and they did what They did best and that was too rely on an army of mercanies to save them.
He was a Spartan general from Sparta. If youd read about the battle while some forces were mercenary the main for in that battle was the Carthaginian citizen soldiers.

Yôḥānān

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Portugal
In all honesty,that is probably just so much bull.While Agesilaus II (and to a lesser extent, his predeccessors in 399-396 period),were doing pretty much whatever they wanted in Asia Minor,geo-political circumstances at the time,would NEVER have allowed for there anything to be more than operations in western Asia Minor,and could certainly not go beyong Taurus Mt.,and would have failed if it had been tried for exactly the same reasons that Spartan naval hegemony and Agesilaus' invasion failed in 394 BC).

So,no,Agesilaus could never have done anything remotely like Alexander (and not even due to his own flaws).
Well it seems he had his mind set on attacking the king of Persia, what could have been we will never know.

Yôḥānān

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Portugal
My point is Spartans have no tactics. A smart general would beat them with half the numbers and some horses
The Lacedaemonians were reputed military experts in antiquity. A good general can defeat larger armies the problem is to find one. Also an army is only as good as the enemy will allow.

Last edited:

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
My point is Spartans have no tactics. A smart general would beat them with half the numbers and some horses
Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be rude at all....but you need to stop. You do not have the slightest idea of what you are talking about. Until you do, I would suggest avoiding this thread for the time being.

Aug 2012
Gylippus gets no love... He's the general credited with leading Syracuse against the largest Greek expeditionary force...... Ever. And winning. Turning the tide of the entire war by virtually bankrupting Athens.

Lysandros is still the greatest on this list though. :notrust:

Emperor Trajan

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Somewhere
Leonidas I is my choice. His amry took on what is now belived to be at 2.6 million. He only had an army of 300 but had help from other Greek city states. He only let soldiers with a blood line serve in the Spartain army.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Lysandros is still the greatest on this list though. :notrust:
Well..not really. Remember that he has zero victories as an infantry commander. He was a great navarch and a shrewd politician, but certainly not the best general on the list.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Leonidas I is my choice. His amry took on what is now belived to be at 2.6 million. He only had an army of 300 but had help from other Greek city states. He only let soldiers with a blood line serve in the Spartain army.
The coalition probably didn't face anything over 100,000, and Leonidas could have had up to 1,200 lakedaemonians with him.

Apr 2017
Chicago
First off I love that the question is being asked by Alcibiades. But in my opinion Brasidas is not getting enough love here. Definitely the best Spartan of the Peloponnesian War. Lysander was an admiral, until the Corinthian War and Leonidas fought one famous battle. Brasidas!! Although I would still say overall Lysander was the most important Spartan Leader.