Best US Civil War Movies?

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
What's the best US Civil War movie from an accurate historical point of view? Is Glory any good? Are there any that Historumites can recommend from the Confederate side?

Thanks!

Fire_Raven

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Oregon
I really enjoyed Glory and usually watch it whenever it is on. Gettysburg is very good but not sure about it's historical accuracy.
From the Confederate side- I've not seen it yet but Ride with the Devil looks interesting. And while the rest of the movie was alright, I did enjoy the Battle of the Crater scenes in Cold Mountain.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
In my opinion, Glory is the best ACW movie, closely followed by Lincoln. Of course both have a pro-Union perspective. I've also watched and enjoyed Ride With the Devil, on Viperlord's recommendation. Its about the guerilla campaigns in Missouri, in which both sides committed the occasional atrocity. I felt it was very good.

Gettysburg, overall, was decent, though Gods and Generals was effectively just Lost Cause propaganda. Overall, the three movies I mentioned above are the three that would come most highly recommended from me.

Sam-Nary

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
At present SD, USA
What's the best US Civil War movie from an accurate historical point of view? Is Glory any good? Are there any that Historumites can recommend from the Confederate side?

Thanks!
It depends on what you're looking for...

For politics the recent "Lincoln" movie is probably the best.

In terms of events on the battlefield... I would hold that "Gods and Generals," "Gettysburg," and "Glory" do the best... Though, especially in the case of Gods and Generals and Gettysburg, because they were adapted from Michael and Jeff Shaara's books, they may be accurate in what they show, but do not show everything...

The only movie that I've seen that would take things from a more Confederate viewpoint has been "Cold Mountain," and while its portrayal of the Battle of the Crater in the beginning of the movie is largely accurate... I can't say anything about the rest of the movie's plot. The only other movie that I know of has been "Gone with the Wind," which is only accurate if you're an unreconstructed Rebel that's clung to the Lost Cause...

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
I see that Cold Mountain has Jude Law as one of the main actors, do you chaps find it irritating that an Englishman should play such an important American role in American history? Personally I've always felt that historical films should have people from the particular country represented to play the historical parts. It's not as though the Southern states have a lack of brilliant actors. Does his accent ever vary and is it hard to take him seriously?

I guess this is typical Hollywood, now you guys understand what it's like when the Brits had to watch an American playing as Robin Hood ;)

Sam-Nary

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
At present SD, USA
I see that Cold Mountain has Jude Law as one of the main actors, do you chaps find it irritating that an Englishman should play such an important American role in American history? Personally I've always felt that historical films should have people from the particular country represented to play the historical parts. It's not as though the Southern states have a lack of brilliant actors. Does his accent ever vary and is it hard to take him seriously?

I guess this is typical Hollywood, now you guys understand what it's like when the Brits had to watch an American playing as Robin Hood ;)
Well... to quote Col Arthur Fremantle in Gettysburg, "You call yourselves Americans, but you are really just transplanted Englishmen."

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
It depends on what you're looking for...

For politics the recent "Lincoln" movie is probably the best.

In terms of events on the battlefield... I would hold that "Gods and Generals," "Gettysburg," and "Glory" do the best... Though, especially in the case of Gods and Generals and Gettysburg, because they were adapted from Michael and Jeff Shaara's books, they may be accurate in what they show, but do not show everything...

The only movie that I've seen that would take things from a more Confederate viewpoint has been "Cold Mountain," and while its portrayal of the Battle of the Crater in the beginning of the movie is largely accurate... I can't say anything about the rest of the movie's plot. The only other movie that I know of has been "Gone with the Wind," which is only accurate if you're an unreconstructed Rebel that's clung to the Lost Cause...
Someone who actually liked "Gods and Generals"?:confused: You, sir, are a specimen that belongs in a museum!:lol:

Though to be honest, I haven't actually seen it. All I know is from what others have told me.