Best War movie of all time

Best War movie of all time?

• Total voters

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
There are probably 100 movies I could put on this list, so if you feel like I missed some, feel free to vote 'other' and let us know your choice.

I voted for Braveheart. I've seen that movie almost 80 times.

Jun 2006
Sweet Home Alabama
I think that Pearl Harbour was a really good movie and that it showed you so up close how they saw it in their eyes.

Jun 2006
I am a huge Bravehart fan. It was debateable between Saving Private Ryan and Bravehart, but in the end I recognized Bravehart hit me harder. WWII was essential, but I think WW movies are a bit overdone.

Jun 2006
I'm glad I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater, it was most realistic war movie I've seen, felt like I'd been in a battle. Some of my other favorites are The Beast (about a Russian Tank in Afghanistan) ,Das Boot and The Blue Max.

Jun 2006
Harmonie said:
I think that Pearl Harbour was a really good movie and that it showed you so up close how they saw it in their eyes.
Except it was highly unrealistic. As far as I remember being taught in my second year of Global Studies, the Americans never got a single fighter off the ground to attack the Japanese, but in the movie they did. But Hollywood needs people to make the movie sell and if they didn't kill a couple of Japanese fighters, people would have been upset. Personally, I liked the Atilla the Hun. It was a very enjoyable movie. I can't wait to see 300, about the Battle of Thermopolye.

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
hannibal said:
I'm glad I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater, it was most realistic war movie I've seen, felt like I'd been in a battle. Some of my other favorites are The Beast (about a Russian Tank in Afghanistan) ,Das Boot and The Blue Max.
The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan were unreal... and extremely graphic. I can't imagine being a vet and seeing that movie in the theater. I remember I saw it with my father, I must have only been 17 or so at the time.

Jun 2006
I voted for Saving Private Ryan too... I just watched it again like 2-3 days ago, and realized how awesome it really is. Does anyone know if the story of a soldier losing his brothers and being sent home is true? Or was it made up by hollywood?

Jun 2006
I would add

I would add to the list "We were soldiers". Extremely realistic, very near to history and demonstrates many of the elements included in war both on the battle field and at the home front. Excellent movie that will make your hair stand on end.

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
I just can't pick one. There have been a few great movies out there. Braveheart though I haven't seen it in years, then Saving Private Ryan, I remember going to see We Were Soldiers at a Civil War reenactment and it was good. I think I'd have to say the Alamo was one of the better ones just because of the story alone, the men that served there were some of the braest of their time.