Best War movie of all time

Best War movie of all time?

• Total voters
Nov 2009
Massachusetts
You gotta be kidding me. Platoon? That wouldn't come in my top 10.
Platoon was a good war movie and showed what many soldiers in Vietnam experienced.

The movie was produced and directed by Oliver Stone, whom I was surprised to learn, was a combat soldier in Vietnam. He earned two purple hearts and a bronze stare with the "V". In the interview I saw with Bill Moyers, Stone said the movie reflected much of his experience and that of other US soldiers who served in Vietnam.

Myself, I didn't serve in Vietnam, but in 1971, when Marines were being transferred from the 1st Marine Division to my division, the 3rd Marines, many of the guys who came into my platoon, shared their experiences. The movie Platoon, was pretty much what they talked about.

Jim

May 2008
Bangkok
Platoon was a good war movie and showed what many soldiers in Vietnam experienced.

The movie was produced and directed by Oliver Stone, whom I was surprised to learn, was a combat soldier in Vietnam. He earned two purple hearts and a bronze stare with the "V". In the interview I saw with Bill Moyers, Stone said the movie reflected much of his experience and that of other US soldiers who served in Vietnam.

Myself, I didn't serve in Vietnam, but in 1971, when Marines were being transferred from the 1st Marine Division to my division, the 3rd Marines, many of the guys who came into my platoon, shared their experiences. The movie Platoon, was pretty much what they talked about.
Not a fan of the movie myself but to corroborate Jim further, I worked for a short time with a Vietnam vet. Asked him, without listing suggestions, which movie most accurately portrayed the war. Without hesitation, he answered, "Platoon is the only movie that accurately showed what that war was like."

Oct 2009
Vancouver
I don't know, every Vietnam movie, on the dvd "making of" or something, they always chat to a veteran who goes "this is what it was really like", so I don't know. I happen to enjoy Platoon a lot, but Deer Hunter is probably my favourite Vietnam movie ever.

Nov 2009
Massachusetts
Sorry, folks. Almost without exception, the Vietnam vets that I have spoken with thought Platoon was "trash" to use one vet's words.

There are those who's experience was different, but Platoon was more common than not.

The guys I spoke with, came right out of Vietnam and were talking among fellow Marines, not civilians they were trying to impress.

Jim

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
There is a disturbing lack of Black Hawk Down for the choices.

Not sure about the accuracy, but as a movie it was brilliant.
I will grant BHD with one credit, it made me anxious to watch, more so than Saving Private Ryan. I would be curious how factual it actually is.

Similar History Discussions