Best War movie of all time

Best War movie of all time?

• Total voters

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
Is there any WW2 movie that is as entertaining as Where Eagles Dare? Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood are on top form and the cable car scenes are as good as cinema gets.

Apr 2018
India
Although I voted for Saving Private Ryan, that's one's actually not my favorite -

1) Das Boot (Hands down winner)
2) Brest Fortress (Brestskaya Krepost)
3) The Pianist
4) Stalingrad (1993, apart from the movie the music is also mind blowing)
5) Full Metal Jacket (Love the drill instructor)

and hundreds more......

Last edited:

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
You should see The Guns of Navarone.
It was on TV this evening--still brilliant after all these years. Bit of wake up, just about all the cast are dead now, Niven, Quayle, Baker, Quinn, Richard Harris--only Mike Sarne who had a very small part as a German guard and is still of consequence i still around.
Movie Trivia: Anthony Quayle really was an SOE Commando in WW2 and had operated in Albania, he suddenly became the technical advisor showing Stanley Baker how you really used a knife to silently kill when Baker was hamming it--apparently Baker suddenly had a lot more respect for the older man.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
It was on TV this evening--still brilliant after all these years. Bit of wake up, just about all the cast are dead now, Niven, Quayle, Baker, Quinn, Richard Harris--only Mike Sarne who had a very small part as a German guard and is still of consequence i still around.
Movie Trivia: Anthony Quayle really was an SOE Commando in WW2 and had operated in Albania, he suddenly became the technical advisor showing Stanley Baker how you really used a knife to silently kill when Baker was hamming it--apparently Baker suddenly had a lot more respect for the older man.
I find that we agree on something at last ! ' The Guns of Navarone ' was a superb movie in those days ( I saw it in Poona , India , in 1962, my first year in college.). Even now it is one of the outstanding movies of all time, though many technical advances have been made in film making since then. You failed to mention Gregory Peck. Why ? Of course, he acted better in ' Behold a Pale Horse ' when he was pitted against Anthony Quinn, again.
Due credit must be given to the great novel by Alastair Maclean, though I have forgotten who wrote the screenplay.
Was it not the same team of director, screenplay writer and cameraman there in the equally great movie ' Lawrence of Arabia ' ?