Best War movie of all time

Best War movie of all time?

• Total voters

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
Navarone is a good war movie, but I much prefer Eagles. The fight on the cable cars is amazing. Also Richard Burton is one of my favourite actors.

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
You failed to mention Gregory Peck. Why ? Of course, he acted better in ' Behold a Pale Horse ' when he was pitted against Anthony Quinn, again.
Due credit must be given to the great novel by Alastair Maclean, though I have forgotten who wrote the screenplay.
Was it not the same team of director, screenplay writer and cameraman there in the equally great movie ' Lawrence of Arabia ' ?

I got sidetracked why I was composing the post, I had intended to say that there is a rare incidence of Gregory Peck overacting when he supposed to be under stress over killing the spy and arguing with Niven--but it doesn't last long.
Yep, they don't make 'em like that any more.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I think a poll where the "Other" category gets over 42% of the votes is a failed poll.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I think a poll where the "Other" category gets over 42% of the votes is a failed poll.
When the entries to the poll do not include masterpieces like
' The Guns of Navarone or The Lawrence of Arabia or The Longest Day it is bound to be a failed poll.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I think that ' Lawrence of Arabia ' certainly deserved to be included as one of the all-time great war movies. The photography, the acting of Peter O'Toole and other actors, the dialogues, the direction all deserve the very best rating from all the Historum posters.

Apr 2018
France
It is impossible to include a significant list. Just after I have done my post I have remembered other really well done films, such as
- The last samurai
- Master an commander
- Alexander
(- The edge of tomorrow)

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
I think that ' Lawrence of Arabia ' certainly deserved to be included as one of the all-time great war movies. The photography, the acting of Peter O'Toole and other actors, the dialogues, the direction all deserve the very best rating from all the Historum posters.
Oh yeah. If possible see this movie on the big screen projected in 70mm. Once in awhile the opportunity arises, depending on where you live.