Best War movie of all time

Best War movie of all time?

• Total voters

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Oh yeah. If possible see this movie on the big screen projected in 70mm. Once in awhile the opportunity arises, depending on where you live.
I first saw it on a 70mm screen in Mumbai ( aka Bombay ) in 1965 when I was an Engineering student at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay! I've seen it now on my DVD player a number of times!

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
I first saw it on a 70mm screen in Mumbai ( aka Bombay ) in 1965 when I was an Engineering student at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay! I've seen it now on my DVD player a number of times!
I saw it in 70mm upon initial release and several times in Chicago when it was restored in the 1980s. The last time I saw it in 70mm was about 15-20 years ago when Chicago film critic Roger Ebert showed it in Champaign Illinois at a movie festival he held. The showing was at an old restored movie palace, the Egyptian Theater, and Ebert brought in two crack projectionists from Hollywood for the showing. Also the Altec Voice of the Theater speakers (known as VOTs to audiophiles, many of whom consider old Altecs far superior to modern theater speakers) behind the screen were rebuilt to original specs.

Anyway the picture and sound were superb and the people in the audience were gasping and oohing and ahhing at the clarity and depth of the picture. I spoke briefly with Ebert after the showing and suggested he some day show a good print of John Ford’s The Searchers, a movie that was much on David Lean’s mind when he made Lawrence.

Oct 2017
Austin, TX
Some not on your list: All Quiet On The Western Front (1929), The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946), The Deer Hunter (1978, I believe) and Platoon (1986).

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Russian Come and See (idi i smotri) from 1985 is better than most American war films you are aware of. I enjoyed Thin Red Line (I watched it at least 3 times), Deer Hunter, both Iwo Jima films of Clint Eastwood.

Yugoslavian Hajka from 1977 is also a great war film. German Das Boot from 1981 and Der Untergang or Downfall (2004).

I watched Two Comrades Were Serving (Sluzhili dva tovarishcha, 1968), Russian about a civil war. A very good film. Also great is The Island (Ostrov, 2006).

Last edited:
Oct 2017
Austin, TX
Another one: Tae Guk Gi (Korea 2004). Wonderful movie about 2 brothers that wound up on opposite sides during the Korean War. It won several international movie awards.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Except it was highly unrealistic. As far as I remember being taught in my second year of Global Studies, the Americans never got a single fighter off the ground to attack the Japanese, but in the movie they did.
Check your facts. Two or three fighters did get into the air and engaged the Japanese.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
The Iron Cross with James Coburn, realistic, action all the time, passes many ideas and messages all, and not forget the Director Sam Pekinpa.

And if i can add another : The Great Escape a true story.
Partially true...many, very many details were drastically changed to please imaginary viewers.

Similar History Discussions