Best War movie of all time

Best War movie of all time?

• Total voters

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
So much difference on what a "War Movie" is:

For me it is a movie about a war or a part of a war. (doesn't have to have combat scenes in it).

Movies set during a time of warfare are NOT war movies:

Schindler's List
The Pianist
Conspiracy
Empire of the Sun

These are not war movies. To have a character or two wander into a war zone doesn't make the movie a "war movie". The Good The Bad and The Ugly" has a brief battle scene...it doesn't make it a war movie. It's still a Western.

Bio-pics like Patton, Lawrence of Arabia are NOT war movies either

Movies that have a combat scene in them are NOT war movies based on that alone - so Gladiator and 2001 A Space Odyssey, Ben Hur are NOT war movies

Movies set in fictional/fantasy worlds are NOT war movies - so Starship Troopers, The Great Wall, Sta Wars etc are NOT war movies.

For me, a war movie has to be set in modern times - since the rise of the nation state and the creation of modern, organized armies.
So all movies set in classical/medeival times are NOT war movies.
Neither are movies about Vikings.

Lastly a war movie needs to be about a war (or a part of a war). Were the North American Indian Wars really "wars" - I'd place them on the same level as holocaust movies.

Last edited:
Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
So much difference on what a "War Movie" is:

For me it is a movie about a war or a part of a war. (doesn't have to have combat scenes in it).

Movies set during a time of warfare are NOT war movies:

Schindler's List
The Pianist
Conspiracy
Empire of the Sun

These are not war movies. To have a character or two wander into a war zone doesn't make the movie a "war movie". The Good The Bad and The Ugly" has a brief battle scene...it doesn't make it a war movie. It's still a Western.

Bio-pics like Patton, Lawrence of Arabia are NOT war movies either

Movies that have a combat scene in them are NOT war movies based on that alone - so Gladiator and 2001 A Space Odyssey, Ben Hur are NOT war movies

Movies set in fictional/fantasy worlds are NOT war movies - so Starship Troopers, The Great Wall, Sta Wars etc are NOT war movies.

For me, a war movie has to be set in modern times - since the rise of the nation state and the creation of modern, organized armies.
So all movies set in classical/medeival times are NOT war movies.
Neither are movies about Vikings.

Lastly a war movie needs to be about a war (or a part of a war). Were the North American Indian Wars really "wars" - I'd place them on the same level as holocaust movies.
Would Cromwell be a war movie under this criteria?

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Check your facts. Two or three fighters did get into the air and engaged the Japanese.
Indeed.

Around a dozen or so managed to get airborne at various points and several of the Japanese planes that were downed that day were shot down by American aircraft. There were two Army Air Force pilots from Wheeler (likely the very loose basis for the characters from the film) who shot down six Japanese planes between them, one the pilots downing four and the other two.

Of course that does not change that the movie Pearl Harbor bore little resemblance to reality and was largely a lousy movie, but the fact that the movie featured American pilots engaging the Japanese in aerial combat was not a complete fabrication. That did occur on December 7th.

Similar History Discussions