Bhimbhitka and Indus Civilization composite bows depiction 3rd millennium BC

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
They look like recurve bows, but there is no way to tell if they are of composite construction. Recurve bows from many cultures contain more power because both of the limbs each contain a curve. Composite bows rely on a material on the belly (archer's side) that can hold energy through compression; strips of horn have been used traditionally for this. The back of the composite bow was covered with sinew carefully glued on to hold energy through elasticity. There are a number of varieties of composite bows; the Egyptians had a number of different types, but the basic construction was very similar. Too hard to tell from depictions, need physical remains.

Mar 2019
KL
yeah but i think that the indus seal exhibiting extension of the bow does provide evidence for the composite bow. the depiction of the bow itself as i have already mentioned is very similar to the later depictions of the composite bows. a wooden non composite bow would never extend to the length which is shown in the seal.

but i also think that the absolute conclusive evidence would be the archaeological one, but i think that the seal does give evidences of composite bow. archaeological evidence in indian subcontinent is very hard because of the weather, population and lack of grave goods culture.

regards

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
yeah but i think that the indus seal exhibiting extension of the bow does provide evidence for the composite bow. the depiction of the bow itself as i have already mentioned is very similar to the later depictions of the composite bows. a wooden non composite bow would never extend to the length which is shown in the seal.

but i also think that the absolute conclusive evidence would be the archaeological one, but i think that the seal does give evidences of composite bow. archaeological evidence in indian subcontinent is very hard because of the weather, population and lack of grave goods culture.

regards
It can't provide evidence as it looks like other depictions that might not be composites from elsewhere. No way to know without evidence; the depiction doesn't support anything.

Mar 2019
KL
i dont understand which perticular depiction are you suggesting resembles the one shown above, this depiction is probably it

1553988364121.png

i dont think that this depictions tallies well with the IVS one.

your link is very interesting nevertheless.

regards

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
i dont understand which perticular depiction are you suggesting resembles the one shown above, this depiction is probably it

View attachment 17000

i dont think that this depictions tallies well with the IVS one.

your link is very interesting nevertheless.

regards
Yes he has a lot of good stuff on that site!
The thing is, one can only guess at probabilities with depictions. The angular composite bow was the apex bow during the Bronze Age, yet it is a very simple looking bow, many fine examples being found with Tut. Depictions of composite bows can be relatively simple, and even simple bows could have sinew or horn or both, so it's just impossible to tell without having something resembling the best Egyptian murals. Or physical evidence. I'd be shocked if the Indians didn't have it early on.

Aug 2014
Australia
There is no "extension"; these things aren't photos. They can be used for nothing more specific than to claim that the subjects are probably using bows. Every person draws differently. If you showed a scene to a room full of artists and asked them to draw it, every single one will do it differently. If you don't have the original subject then how are you supposed to tell which, if any, were rendered accurately?