Biggest cities in Sub Saharan Africa (500-1500)

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
I acept the Roman Empire and all the Euopean civilizations is at the end, an offspring of Middle Eastern cultures.

However, I find interesting the divide between Sub-Saharan and Sub-Equatorial Africa.

Sub-Saharan cultures to the Equator, and down the Indian Ocean to Mozambique in coastal areas are linked to civilizations of Europe and the ME. From a lesser degree (Niger area been more original) to a higher degree (Ethiopia been strongly linked, to the point of total confusion).

South of Equator appear native African cultures with little or no linkage with the rest of Old World cultures. That's fascinating to study.

Jan 2014
Portugal
Ignorant bastards making silly acusations based on paranoia.
One can't state interest in anything those days without arguing about agendas...

I've study African History in the context of Colonial Africa, Islamic Expansion, and other subjects. I never known much about pre-colonial civilizations in Africa.

Now, trying to acuse me of stupid things just because of talking about south of the equator? Are south Afrivan cultures the same as in the north?

God damn...

Nov 2016
Wakanda
Considering the discussion around Sub Saharan civilizations before colonial influence, I came across interesting cities and kingdoms I didn't know.

In terms of Kingdoms, I knew a few by name, but now I want to know where were the major cities, in any area, between the period of 500-1500.

Thank you all.
White supremacy/terrorism has made this an impossible topic to study properly. After centuries of depleting the land, the culture and the people, this should be evident.

The best chance to properly study would have been, maybe prior to the 1400s. It's like going into a graveyard and looking at the tomb stones and trying to put together the lives of who lies there. If something has been destroyed, it's gone.

There can't be European Imperialism and global dominance where they destroyed entire cultures and didn't preserve the history, then now all of a sudden Euro descendants want to study what their ancestors destroyed.
It doesn't work that way.

Aug 2014
Portugal
There can't be European Imperialism and global dominance where they destroyed entire cultures and didn't preserve the history, then now all of a sudden Euro descendants want to study what their ancestors destroyed.
Why can't Europeans do scientific research in Africa?

Jan 2014
Portugal
White supremacy/terrorism has made this an impossible topic to study properly. After centuries of depleting the land, the culture and the people, this should be evident.

The best chance to properly study would have been, maybe prior to the 1400s. It's like going into a graveyard and looking at the tomb stones and trying to put together the lives of who lies there. If something has been destroyed, it's gone.

Yeah, let's ignore archaelogy everywhere.
Why should Germans study Rome after invade it? Why should Chinese study China if they had destroy places in Cultural Revolution?
Why should Africans study African Kingdoms, destroyed by other African Kingdoms?

Stop posting non-sense.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
I've told you. He's not even subtle. His thoughts are confused and not precise especially when expressed in writings but however his ego leaked into his writings.
He will not accept the fact that civilizations such as Rome and Greece didn't spawn in a vacuum and were an extension of Middle Eastern civilizations (so was Egypt, unlike what afrocentrics say); yet he is willing to put a divide so that the grey/gray area of African civilizations are clearly demarcated. So he arbitrary choose a line to create that divide (if that line fails in its purpose he'll choose another). This strategy is old as humanity itself. He is not here to learn or debate. He is here to reinforce an agenda. This is not paranoia; this is logic.

This is why I will suggest you ignore everything from him and stay on topic. I want to see how exchange of technologies from North Africa affects North Sub-Saharan architecture.

Anyway there was an ancient people called the Tellem that used to dwell by the Banadiagara encampment where the Dogons now are. They've found potteries ( that could be as old 20,000 years) and evidence of granaries. They may even have partly been responsible for the shape of the unusual shape of the cliff. Below is an abandoned Dogon settlement where the Tellem used to be. I believe the Tellem were an amazing race.

Last edited:
Jan 2014
Portugal
Well **** me. I used equator just because I was interested in Southern African cities.

But it's a imaginary line... I guess all borders are imaginary. All cultures are the same. But at the same I can't study them, because my ancestors went there and create conflits with locals.

Flawless logic, specially without knowing my background.

Edit: please tell me, what is my agenda?

Last edited:
Apr 2017
Lemuria
Well **** me. I used equator just because I was interested in Southern African cities.

But it's a imaginary line... I guess all borders are imaginary. All cultures are the same. But at the same I can't study them, because my ancestors went there and create conflits with locals.

Flawless logic, specially without knowing my background.

Edit: please tell me, what is my agenda?
I'm not referring to you. Are you Bart Dale now? I haven't noticed you until now. Being below the equator doesn't mean you were beyond outsiders influence as well. So each city needs to be studied on its own merit.

Last edited: