Birth control, abortion, and overpopulation

Oct 2009
Moscow oblast
Where should we draw lines to define the rights and the wrongs of human procreation? Who should decide? What does "pro-life" mean?
Each family has to have more than 2 children just for simple maintenance of a nation (about 2.1, if I am not mistaking). This is rather objective index. It is enough for a start, I think.

Aug 2010
The Netherlands
Right and Wrong are Human made concepts. There is no ''right and wrong''
Sure, there are probably things that we mostly have consensus on (cruelty is mostly frowned upon) but i view the liberty for a woman to do what she wants with her body superior to her being forced by the state to have a baby.

Jun 2009
Glorious England
I always get worried when I hear people talking about 'overpopulation'. What is the measuring stick for this? There is more than enough space and food to go around, people go hungry because of their government and war, not because the land is incapable of supporting them.

Mar 2009
There is more than enough space and food to go around, people go hungry because of their government and war, not because the land is incapable of supporting them.
We can't even be civilized with the amount of people with have now,more boom population means more havocs!...more wars,more riots,more crimes,less jobs,more people on the doll,.ore people on the streets!

Apr 2010
Loch na Seilg, Alba
It's massively exaggerated. The population of most western countries is about to peak, and then it will hurtle downwards. The world population is expected to be one and a half billion by 2150.

Dec 2009
Ozarkistan
I always get worried when I hear people talking about 'overpopulation'. What is the measuring stick for this? There is more than enough space and food to go around, people go hungry because of their government and war, not because the land is incapable of supporting them.
Well, I once was harangued along these lines by a woman who had just driven from California to Florida, crossing Arizona and New Mexico for the first time. The lesson she learned: there are vast uninhabited areas open to human habitation. The lesson she didn't learn: there's very little water there. (Never mind the further ramifications of full-to-the-brim Earth.)

It's massively exaggerated. The population of most western countries is about to peak, and then it will hurtle downwards. The world population is expected to be one and a half billion by 2150.
Expected by whom? There are other, contrary estimates, as you must know.

We can't even be civilized with the amount of people with have now,more boom population means more havocs!...more wars,more riots,more crimes,less jobs,more people on the doll,.ore people on the streets!
I entirely agree.

But, aside from population, what about birth control and abortion???

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
but i view the liberty for a woman to do what she wants with her body superior to her being forced by the state to have a baby.
If a woman is not willing to risk a pregnacy, she should abstain. The child forming in her womb is no less a human being than her.

Dec 2009
Ozarkistan
If a woman is not willing to risk a pregnacy, she should abstain. The child forming in her womb is no less a human being than her.
But we know that abstinance runs contrary to hormones, and we see which is the more powerful impulse. So, the question becomes, in part, When do a sperm and an egg become a human being?

And, in social perspective, what about the "welfare moms" who apparently strive to procreate as often as possible so as to increase their welfare checks. The question of sterilization is an important one.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
But we know that abstinance runs contrary to hormones, and we see which is the more powerful impulse. So, the question becomes, in part, When do a sperm and an egg become a human being?

And, in social perspective, what about the "welfare moms" who apparently strive to procreate as often as possible so as to increase their welfare checks. The question of sterilization is an important one.
Agreed.

Similar History Discussions