Bizarre/Ugly Military Vehicles

Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
This thread is dedicated to all the creation of mankid intended for the battlefield that leave us torn between a smile and a facepalm.(aberrations like the Tsar tank or the Landkreuzer P-1000 Ratte are not welcomed here:))

Let me start with something "patriotic": the Motomitragliatrice Blindata d'Assalto "MIAS"(armored engine-driven assault machine-gun) produced by Ansaldo.
The MIAS is a prototype vehicle built during the '30s, a period well known(at least in Italy) for the military experimentation, that often led to wierd-looking vehicles with dubious values on the battlefield.
The MIAS was essentially a very small armored vehicle, in fact nothing more than a machine gun equipped with caterpillar tracks and protected by an armored hull.

According to the manufacturing company, the steel-made sloping armor was able to withstand small arms fire coming from around 50 meters of distance.
The MIAS was powered by a single-cylinder 250cc Frera engine, able to produce 5 HP,enough to reach 5km/h; the vehicle was also equipped with a reverse gear and a differential gear in order to change direction quickly.

The main armament was formed by a 6,5 mm Scotti machine-gun(equipped with 40 magazines,for a total of 1000 rounds),shooting from a small loophole in the frontal armor.

Ansaldo produced another version of the vehicle, armed with a 45mm Brixia grenade-launcher.

Do I have to write all of its flaws:lol:?

Dec 2011
Do I have to write all of its flaws:lol:?
Hmmm let me guess:
1, Bad vision
2, Limited mobility
3, No rear armour
4, Only bullet proof from 50 metres?
5, Skinny tracks
6, A tool kit on outside
7, Lots of shot traps?

But hey, you cant blame them for trying, a mini tank probably sounded like the future.

Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
Hmmm let me guess:
1, Bad vision
2, Limited mobility
3, No rear armour
4, Only bullet proof from 50 metres?
5, Skinny tracks
6, A tool kit on outside
7, Lots of shot traps?

But hey, you cant blame them for trying, a mini tank probably sounded like the future.
You are the undisputed flaw-finding champion of 2013!!!

i cant find a very good picture but the hussite war wagons come to mind
The Hussite war wagon was not exactly beautiful, but it holds an important place in military history

Similar History Discussions