Bizarre/Ugly Military Vehicles

M.E.T.H.O.D.

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
This thread is dedicated to all the creation of mankid intended for the battlefield that leave us torn between a smile and a facepalm.(aberrations like the Tsar tank or the Landkreuzer P-1000 Ratte are not welcomed here:))

Let me start with something "patriotic": the Motomitragliatrice Blindata d'Assalto "MIAS"(armored engine-driven assault machine-gun) produced by Ansaldo.
The MIAS is a prototype vehicle built during the '30s, a period well known(at least in Italy) for the military experimentation, that often led to wierd-looking vehicles with dubious values on the battlefield.
The MIAS was essentially a very small armored vehicle, in fact nothing more than a machine gun equipped with caterpillar tracks and protected by an armored hull.

According to the manufacturing company, the steel-made sloping armor was able to withstand small arms fire coming from around 50 meters of distance.
The MIAS was powered by a single-cylinder 250cc Frera engine, able to produce 5 HP,enough to reach 5km/h; the vehicle was also equipped with a reverse gear and a differential gear in order to change direction quickly.

The main armament was formed by a 6,5 mm Scotti machine-gun(equipped with 40 magazines,for a total of 1000 rounds),shooting from a small loophole in the frontal armor.

Ansaldo produced another version of the vehicle, armed with a 45mm Brixia grenade-launcher.

Do I have to write all of its flaws:lol:?

Dec 2011
Do I have to write all of its flaws:lol:?
Hmmm let me guess:
1, Bad vision
2, Limited mobility
3, No rear armour
4, Only bullet proof from 50 metres?
5, Skinny tracks
6, A tool kit on outside
7, Lots of shot traps?

But hey, you cant blame them for trying, a mini tank probably sounded like the future.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
This version of the MBT had a limited service life due to some obvious flaws!

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
I have a liking for anything in Talhoffer's manual, but his medieval "tank" was a strange thing:

M.E.T.H.O.D.

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
Hmmm let me guess:
1, Bad vision
2, Limited mobility
3, No rear armour
4, Only bullet proof from 50 metres?
5, Skinny tracks
6, A tool kit on outside
7, Lots of shot traps?

But hey, you cant blame them for trying, a mini tank probably sounded like the future.
You are the undisputed flaw-finding champion of 2013!!!

i cant find a very good picture but the hussite war wagons come to mind
The Hussite war wagon was not exactly beautiful, but it holds an important place in military history