Bjorn Ironside in the Mediterranean

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I was hoping that someone here could point me in the direction of any Latin materials that refer to Bjorn Ironside's raid into the Mediterranean? I'm particularly interested in the attack on the Luna/Lucca and his feigned death as a means of getting inside the walls. A similar tactic is used by Harold Hardrada in Sicily in the Heimskringla, and I'm curious if there is any evidence outside the sagas that Bjorn actually tried such a thing? One of Hardrada's other siege tactics appears to be borrowed from the Russian Primary Chronicle (or an earlier tradition to both) and I'm curious about further links between texts.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
We are in those dark ages again with not a lot written down.

I have somewhere Dozy's classic book about the Vikings in Spain - which deals with part of this raid. Unless I'm getting them mixed up (possibly) I think the raids around Seville were intially extremely successful, but eventually got caught by emirate troops, leading to large loss of Viking ships and men. I have it in Spanish but it was originally written in French and is surely available in English?

LOS VIKINGOS EN ESPAÑA - REINHART P. DOZY, comprar el libro

Having just read the account of that pretending to be dead stuff on Wiki - to be honest it seems ridiculous. Sagas around camp fires, that sort of thing.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
We are in those dark ages again with not a lot written down.

I have somewhere Dozy's classic book about the Vikings in Spain - which deals with part of this raid. Unless I'm getting them mixed up (possibly) I think the raids around Seville were intially extremely successful, but eventually got caught by emirate troops, leading to large loss of Viking ships and men. I have it in Spanish but it was originally written in French and is surely available in English?

LOS VIKINGOS EN ESPAÑA - REINHART P. DOZY, comprar el libro

Having just read the account of that pretending to be dead stuff on Wiki - to be honest it seems ridiculous. Sagas around camp fires, that sort of thing.
That's funny, since when I started looking the only real thing that I could find was an account of the Seville raid in Ibn Hayyan.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
That's funny, since when I started looking the only real thing that I could find was an account of the Seville raid in Ibn Hayyan.
Dozy was one of those historians like Menendez-Pidal, Levi-Provencal and others who basically put together all the old sources as experts in Spanish history. Dozy put all the knowledge of Viking raids to Spain in this (small) book, presumably quoting Ibn Hayyan on this (he does quote passages from sources but the book is not in the same place as I am right now!).

New research and new ideas is putting some of the old works to the test these days.

These raids are also dealt with in Esparza's recent definitive muslim Spain trilogy - but if there is only one source then there's not much can be written for sure.