Black Girls

Status
Closed
Dec 2011
United States
I am African Caribbean; I am neither loud nor obnoxious. On the other hand I am outspoken, assertive and often headstrong. I learned to adapt these traits due to my environment. In the Caribbean a woman has to be strong in a man’s world in order to progress. I assume it is the same elsewhere all species adapt to their environment in order to survive.
The media often portrays black women as loud, promiscuous, aggressive etc usually they manipulate the scene to get this reaction. Such stereotype and over generalization of black women based on a few is distasteful.

I am outspoken, assertive and often headstrong. I learned to adapt these traits due to my environment. In the Caribbean a woman has to be strong in a man’s world in order to progress.

You see, you are telling us exactly what we see and in America, the assertiveness and the outspokenness. You have proved exactly what we have been saying here, that it is a cultural trait that isn't present nearly as much in African countries.

I have been to Jamaica and Antigua and I can understand exactly what you are saying. In Africa, my experiences were different. My problem is the attitude that somehow Africans should be denigrated for their cultural differences by their own race- is that not wrong? To me it is.

Dec 2011
Las Vegas Nevada
Black women are typically loud and very strong minded. I think Civil Rights and the Feminist Movement plays a huge role in shaping the attitude they have today.

May 2008
Fireland
I've noticed something. In all of my experience with black women, most of them are either loud or obnoxious, including my family. Is this a genetic thing or is it a cultural thing?

I hope I don't sound racist.
Qymaen, your like what fifteen or something .. most of us here are aware of that which is why you can probably squeeze some slack in addition to which you've racked up a long steady haul of knowledgeable posts.

But being bright and a fast learner to boot you will not find yourself repeating those same words in just a few years time. I guarantee you, you will wince at yourself.

Jot them down and put them in a little miniature time capsule to be opened on your eighteenth birthday - reread them and ask yourself could I have rephrased what I was thinking any better in order to minimise possible offence.

It may seem self-evident to you based on the number of black girls you've met up to this point in your life that they appear verifiably 'loud and obnoxious' but do you honestly believe;

(a) that this is universally true
(b) your judgement in this matter is trustworthy enough
to even assess the instances which pass before your own eyes and/or
(c) that a general statement of that nature holds any credence in the real adult world.

Can you imagine a public figure firing it out over the airwaves for instance and not expect to be sacked within 24 hours? Think about why that is so - if you know the answer already and yet maintain your fully entitled to make the observation in the manner in which you've done it - then that is just plain ignorance on your part, pure and simple. There's no laws against it and it's not racism (technically at least I suppose) but it's just being obnoxious in your own turn.

Dec 2011
United States
It may seem self-evident to you based on the number of black girls you've met up to this point in your life that they appear verifiably 'loud and obnoxious' but do you honestly believe;

(a) that this is universally true
(b) your judgement in this matter is trustworthy enough
to even assess the instances which pass before your own eyes and/or
(c) that a general statement of that nature holds any credence in the real adult world.

Can you imagine a public figure firing it out over the airwaves for instance and not expect to be sacked within 24 hours? Think about why that is so - if you know the answer already and yet maintain your fully entitled to make the observation in the manner in which you've done it - then that is just plain ignorance on your part, pure and simple. There's no laws against it and it's not racism (technically at least I suppose) but it's just being obnoxious in your own turn.
Many of us here are much older and have had the same experiences, but he used "obnoxious" which has negative connotations. As I said above, someone can be assertive and outspoken and it be prevalent in a culture.

Being from Ireland, you have a lot less exposure to what some of us experience on a daily basis, and it is difficult for us to relay our experiences without having to carefully craft our words as not to offend. It isn't because we're racist or we have ill will towards others, it is because in this age people are hypersensitive to everything and having a genial discussion about certain topics is extremely difficult.

Rasta

Ad Honoris
Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
Why do you think that is?
Some people have way too much time on their hands? How a thread on black women could turn into "OMG Americaz iz totally da badz!", shows at the very least that we have some very creative minds.

:D

Rasta

Ad Honoris
Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
Please don't be so sensitive, i have no hatred of americans, i would say that i have some rather fond memory's of living there.

I will say that the "Gods own nation, can do no wrong" attitude gets a little tedious.

Just to confirm, its Ok for an american to start a insulting, generalising thread criticising Black women, but it ISN'T ok to Generalise or even comment about "negative" aspects of americans?
Create your own thread if hold the belief that this forum doesn't have enough threads that are critical of Americans. You are of course entitled to your own opinion . . . .

Why should every thread be related to criticizing America? I'm not sure about that . . .

May 2008
Fireland
Many of us here are much older and have had the same experiences, but he used "obnoxious" which has negative connotations. As I said above, someone can be assertive and outspoken and it be prevalent in a culture.

Being from Ireland, you have a lot less exposure to what some of us experience on a daily basis, and it is difficult for us to relay our experiences without having to carefully craft our words as not to offend. It isn't because we're racist or we have ill will towards others, it is because in this age people are hypersensitive to everything and having a genial discussion about certain topics is extremely difficult.
It's a sloppily worded OP that comes across as racist and obnoxious in it's own right and no amount of appeals to assumed cultural differences between Ireland and the States will erase that fact. I know Qymaen did not intend to convey the effect that was nevertheless conveyed as I've read hundreds of his posts up to this point but newer members are not as aware of his posting record and so can't put them into any comparable context.

Thus when they inevitably point out the same thing that I'm pointing out now vis-a-vis how objectionable it is to hear the opinion that most black girls are either 'loud or obnoxious' and then having ascertained so much to proceed to enquire whether this is based on a genetic or cultural disposition you have immediately a supposition which if allowed to roll carries you straight off into the murkiest territory imaginable.

Let us suppose for equity sake half the girls concerned are 'obnoxious' and the other half 'loud'. Loud I can live with, big deal, but are we to take it then that 'being obnoxious' is now considered an even remotely plausible candidate as having a genetically determined basis? Of course not, this would be absurd yet this is nevertheless what has been stated and when it is pointed out how offensive this may be to some the 'group' has instead coalesced in defence of our shoddily composed OP.

I would ask folks here to forget about loyalties to Qymaen as member (we are still mates big deal) and try and focus instead on what has actually been said in the OP - it is really quite chronic and straightforwardly incendiary. Some will find it vaguely offensive, others highly so, and that is inevitable and will continue as long as the thread remains open. I wouldn't even have answered myself in my first post here had I read the OP properly.

Dec 2011
United States
It's a sloppily worded OP that comes across as racist and obnoxious in it's own right and no amount of appeals to assumed cultural differences between Ireland and the States will erase that fact. I know Qymaen did not intend to convey the effect that was nevertheless conveyed as I've read hundreds of his posts up to this point but newer members are not as aware of his posting record and so can't put them into any comparable context.
In a nutshell, you said that "obnoxious" is a very poor word choice and could be interpreted as something very bad by some, and that Qymaen didn't mean for it to come across that way. I understood :D

sturm

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Bulgaria
In defense at Qymaen (not that he needs one :)), i want to say that, i personally don't view what he wrote as racist or childish. Im very much for the discussion of cultural differences, and i believe that here we have a topic exactly about cultural differences and i see most the members who participate in this thread agree about that. I must say that this question that Qymaen asked is rather interesting for me personally, because unlike many of you i lack any experience in social conversations whatsoever with african americans, and as i mentioned in my previous post as funny as it may seem, i have only experienced what Qymaen wrote for african american women (i quote "obnoxious and loud") on the TV, which of course is far away from being a trustworthy source.

Also it is very important to note that Qymaen speaks from the point of his own experience, since as far as i know he comes from an african american family.
I can't comment on his choice of words, since im not a native english speaker, often i use words that have negative connotations but im not aware of that.

Status
Closed