Black Girls

Status
Closed
May 2008
Fireland
In a nutshell, you said that "obnoxious" is a very poor word choice and could be interpreted as something very bad by some, and that Qymaen didn't mean for it to come across that way. I understood :D
Glad we're on the same wavelength Monsieur .. now if you'll excuse me I've a wee roast to attend to.:)

P.S. I sincerely hope this thread meets all your expectations Sturm.

Apr 2010
Originally Posted by Qymaen

"I've noticed something. In all of my experience with black women, most of them are either loud or obnoxious, including my family. Is this a genetic thing or is it a cultural thing?

I hope I don't sound racist."

Qymaen, you are a young person with your entire life ahead of you. The world is a wonderous place, indeed, and I envy you, as I lie on my deathbed.
Let me give you some words of advice.
When it comes to race, don't think to hard. The issue seems to have a dark life of its own that will ensnarl and devour the unsuspecting or well-meaning.
So ignore what you see around you and believe the sugar-coated nonsense you see on television.
You will do well.

Rongo

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Ohio
IMHO we should ease off Qymaen and get back to the topic at hand. In regards to that, it's been my personal experience that ALL teenage girls are loud and obnoxious. :amuse:

I'll also add that within my own family, which is white, I often wonder why the women bother using telephones when they talk to each other. :lol: (There, now everyone can jump on me for being sexist. :zany:)

Last edited:

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
That, too, is a recurrent pattern. It does make sense. A large minority of black people are actual members of the "ghetto" and grow up in that type of environment.

Blacks aren't the only ones living in this type environment…..are the other races loud and obnoxious as well? As stated the ghetto attributes to such behavioral pattern then the statement out not to be geared at blacks specifically since the ghetto comprises persons from various ethnicities.

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
Blacks aren't the only ones living in this type environment…..are the other races loud and obnoxious as well? As stated the ghetto attributes to such behavioral pattern then the statement ought not to be geared at blacks specifically since the ghetto comprises persons from various ethnicities.

Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
Blacks aren't the only ones living in this type environment…..are the other races loud and obnoxious as well? As stated the ghetto attributes to such behavioral pattern then the statement out not to be geared at blacks specifically since the ghetto comprises persons from various ethnicities.
Oh god, aren't they just. I may be a different skin color but that is where our differences stop. I love other peoples cultures and I am sometimes ashamed of where I come from as there is not so much to be proud of.

Nov 2010
Border of GA and AL
Salah, sorry to make you so angry.

Is the word "obnoxious" , not insulting then?

Is Qymaen not okamidos countryman?

As much as my comments are your concern, you can be "upset" by what i type, but i can NOT be upset by what Qymaen types?

.........................................................................................

OK, on reflection maybe i am being oversensitive, I spent 6 months recently working for an Aid charity in West Africa, my experiences of "black" women are perhaps very different from most members here.
I do see what you mean and I apologize for any offense taken by anyone on this thread. However do note that I said "in my personal experience".

Obnoxious was a bad choice of wording. I'll admit to that. However I said obnoxious because I feel that it is talking obnoxiously because of the type of person I am. Quiet and composed.

Qymaen, your like what fifteen or something .. most of us here are aware of that which is why you can probably squeeze some slack in addition to which you've racked up a long steady haul of knowledgeable posts.

But being bright and a fast learner to boot you will not find yourself repeating those same words in just a few years time. I guarantee you, you will wince at yourself.

Jot them down and put them in a little miniature time capsule to be opened on your eighteenth birthday - reread them and ask yourself could I have rephrased what I was thinking any better in order to minimise possible offence.

It may seem self-evident to you based on the number of black girls you've met up to this point in your life that they appear verifiably 'loud and obnoxious' but do you honestly believe;

(a) that this is universally true
(b) your judgement in this matter is trustworthy enough
to even assess the instances which pass before your own eyes and/or
(c) that a general statement of that nature holds any credence in the real adult world.
I am sixteen. I don't believe I ever said that all black girls are like that, that would be ridiculous. Not even all of the ones I've met and known are like that, but, still, the majority I've met, whether seven or fifty five, have been loud.

Can you imagine a public figure firing it out over the airwaves for instance and not expect to be sacked within 24 hours? Think about why that is so - if you know the answer already and yet maintain your fully entitled to make the observation in the manner in which you've done it - then that is just plain ignorance on your part, pure and simple. There's no laws against it and it's not racism (technically at least I suppose) but it's just being obnoxious in your own turn.
Yes, I can imagine it. In my opinion, it depends on who is saying what. One man, a radio host named Steve Harvey who my mom listens to in the morning, makes generalizations like this about both men and women every morning during his "Strawberry Letter". Yet he is not sacked within 24 hours. Plenty of public figures make broad generalizations, yet they aren't sacked because of not only who they are, but how they say it. Chris Rock makes fun of blacks a lot, George Lopez does the same with Hispanics. Is this okay? Is it okay because they are comedians?

I, myself, make generalizations all the time yet I "stand" before you today typing this. How am I not in the ER or in a coffin?

Black and Mild? Should have called them black and loud! Lol. - some stand up comedian on tv a while back
This is what I mean by the above. ucanefan, was this comedian beaten to a pulp?

Many of us here are much older and have had the same experiences, but he used "obnoxious" which has negative connotations. As I said above, someone can be assertive and outspoken and it be prevalent in a culture.

Being from Ireland, you have a lot less exposure to what some of us experience on a daily basis, and it is difficult for us to relay our experiences without having to carefully craft our words as not to offend. It isn't because we're racist or we have ill will towards others, it is because in this age people are hypersensitive to everything and having a genial discussion about certain topics is extremely difficult.
Again I apologize for the wording.

It's a sloppily worded OP that comes across as racist and obnoxious in it's own right and no amount of appeals to assumed cultural differences between Ireland and the States will erase that fact. I know Qymaen did not intend to convey the effect that was nevertheless conveyed as I've read hundreds of his posts up to this point but newer members are not as aware of his posting record and so can't put them into any comparable context.

Thus when they inevitably point out the same thing that I'm pointing out now vis-a-vis how objectionable it is to hear the opinion that most black girls are either 'loud or obnoxious' and then having ascertained so much to proceed to enquire whether this is based on a genetic or cultural disposition you have immediately a supposition which if allowed to roll carries you straight off into the murkiest territory imaginable.

Let us suppose for equity sake half the girls concerned are 'obnoxious' and the other half 'loud'. Loud I can live with, big deal, but are we to take it then that 'being obnoxious' is now considered an even remotely plausible candidate as having a genetically determined basis? Of course not, this would be absurd yet this is nevertheless what has been stated and when it is pointed out how offensive this may be to some the 'group' has instead coalesced in defence of our shoddily composed OP.

I would ask folks here to forget about loyalties to Qymaen as member (we are still mates big deal) and try and focus instead on what has actually been said in the OP - it is really quite chronic and straightforwardly incendiary. Some will find it vaguely offensive, others highly so, and that is inevitable and will continue as long as the thread remains open. I wouldn't even have answered myself in my first post here had I read the OP properly.
I expected answers and experiences, which I have received. Not a heated debate over the wording of the OP and a fixation on the word obnoxious.

In defense at Qymaen (not that he needs one :)), i want to say that, i personally don't view what he wrote as racist or childish. Im very much for the discussion of cultural differences, and i believe that here we have a topic exactly about cultural differences and i see most the members who participate in this thread agree about that. I must say that this question that Qymaen asked is rather interesting for me personally, because unlike many of you i lack any experience in social conversations whatsoever with african americans, and as i mentioned in my previous post as funny as it may seem, i have only experienced what Qymaen wrote for african american women (i quote "obnoxious and loud") on the TV, which of course is far away from being a trustworthy source.

Also it is very important to note that Qymaen speaks from the point of his own experience, since as far as i know he comes from an african american family.
I can't comment on his choice of words, since im not a native english speaker, often i use words that have negative connotations but im not aware of that.
I do come from an African-American family.

Originally Posted by Qymaen

"I've noticed something. In all of my experience with black women, most of them are either loud or obnoxious, including my family. Is this a genetic thing or is it a cultural thing?

I hope I don't sound racist."

Qymaen, you are a young person with your entire life ahead of you. The world is a wonderous place, indeed, and I envy you, as I lie on my deathbed.
Let me give you some words of advice.
When it comes to race, don't think to hard. The issue seems to have a dark life of its own that will ensnarl and devour the unsuspecting or well-meaning.
So ignore what you see around you and believe the sugar-coated nonsense you see on television.
You will do well.
I don't know how to take this.

IMHO we should ease off Qymaen and get back to the topic at hand. In regards to that, it's been my personal experience that ALL teenage girls are loud and obnoxious. :amuse:

I'll also add that within my own family, which is white, I often wonder why the women bother using telephones when they talk to each other. :lol: (There, now everyone can jump on me for being sexist. :zany:)
Not all are loud and obnoxious. I've known and know many who are quiet, but the majority are loud.

I never said they are the only ones, but blacks have lived in the "ghetto" in the US for longer than any race or ethnic group in the US in significant numbers.

And just to clarify. I do mean African-American women. I apologize to anyone I've insulted. And I speak only from my experiences.

Last edited:

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
No you don't. There was never a big fuss about that movie.
Spike Lee is not even worth mentioning when it's about racism, if you ask me.
The guy sees racism everywhere, even when it's not the case (remember the idiocies he told about "Flags of our Fathers"?)
When he'll face a genuine case of racism, people won't even believe him anymore.

I'll take it a step further, Spike Lee is a racist in his own way.

Status
Closed