Black Sails

Gudenrath

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Denmark
So since I watched the first episode of this and noone else has started a thread about this, I figured I should.

Well, I am disappointed. Not hugely, since I didn't expect much to begin with. But this show is basically Pirates of the Caribbean with boobs. The boobs are nice, but as a historical show it is as disappointing as that Spartacus failure. A bunch of supermodels pretending they know how to act and the gore and sex is obviously added to provide the show with some sort of rationale.

There is nothing historical about this. From the very beginning where it states that the Pirates has decided to wage war on civilisation as some kind of sophisticated Heath Ledger Jokers, completetly detached from the historical reality. And then there is the problem of women and black people having an executive role in affairs in the Carribean during the beginning of the 18th century. All complete crap and as artificial as the acting of the models supposed to represent the main characters.

As in the equally bad Spartacus shows, the producers seems to think that catwalk models, boobs and gore is the way to create a tv-series that is historically convincing similar to the wellknown HBO shows.Needless to say they fail miserably.

Edit: Yes, I am drunk, so I don't finish sentences.

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I thought it was good, but then I didn't go into it expecting a fairly accurate take on 18th Century pirates. Its intended as a prequel of sorts to Treasure Island, which is the book probably most responsible for pirates being romanticized. If I'm not mistaken, Treasure Island was the first work of fiction to portray pirates as burying treasure and keeping parrots as pets. It also has a peg-legged pirate.

At least three of the characters in the series are characters in the book. Jon Silver and Billy Bones both have fairly substantial roles (Silver being a major character), and while Flint doesn't appear in the book, he's mentioned a few times.

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
An edited version (no nudity) of the full first episode is posted online, if anyone is interested. Its official, so no piracy involved. :cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68pX9k4PJY]Black Sails: Episode 1 (FULL EPISODE - US ONLY) - YouTube[/ame]

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
...And then there is the problem of women and black people having an executive role in affairs in the Carribean during the beginning of the 18th century. All complete crap and as artificial as the acting of the models supposed to represent the main characters...
There are recorded instances of both female and black pirate captains in the 18th century, so don't be too harsh on the scriptwriters. :D

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Considering the names used - Flint, Silver, Pew, Bones, "The Walrus" - i figure it as a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's famed "Treasure Island."

Feb 2013
USA
Spartacus, a failure? What? It was pretty highly rated and very entertaining.

I'm really enjoying Black Sails so far. It's about time we had a pirate-themed TV show.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
So since I watched the first episode of this and noone else has started a thread about this, I figured I should.

Well, I am disappointed. Not hugely, since I didn't expect much to begin with. But this show is basically Pirates of the Caribbean with boobs. The boobs are nice, but as a historical show it is as disappointing as that Spartacus failure. A bunch of supermodels pretending they know how to act and the gore and sex is obviously added to provide the show with some sort of rationale.

There is nothing historical about this. From the very beginning where it states that the Pirates has decided to wage war on civilisation as some kind of sophisticated Heath Ledger Jokers, completetly detached from the historical reality. And then there is the problem of women and black people having an executive role in affairs in the Carribean during the beginning of the 18th century. All complete crap and as artificial as the acting of the models supposed to represent the main characters.

As in the equally bad Spartacus shows, the producers seems to think that catwalk models, boobs and gore is the way to create a tv-series that is historically convincing similar to the wellknown HBO shows.Needless to say they fail miserably.

Edit: Yes, I am drunk, so I don't finish sentences.
Good post. I fully agree. Spartacus is a ridiculous show, this Black Sails, is just more of the same.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
If I'm not mistaken, Treasure Island was the first work of fiction to portray pirates as burying treasure and keeping parrots as pets. It also has a peg-legged pirate.
As a piece of trivia, the parrot wasnt a pirate thing it was a sailor thing.

Theyre cheap to buy in the tropics, easy to keep since they dont take up much space in a crowded mess deck and if you sell them in Britain as an exotic pet they are a very high priced commodity.

Plus of course theyre entertainment while your at sea.

Basically theyre trade goods as much as a pet.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
European History
European History
Movies / Television
Movies / Television

Similar History Discussions