Blacks Had No History Before Slavery?

Status
Closed
Jun 2014
USA
Most Western blacks are taught nothing of their history before slavery. Our public school system drowns us with knowledge of European history and American history (in the US) but no history about Africa. Most people (regardless of race) give little care about Africa and have very little knowledge of it other than the poverty stricken mess full of wild animals and primitive tribes that is Africa today. These videos tackle the issues head on and show an entirely different perspective of where we came from.

http://youtu.be/1LRZjwtCINY

http://youtu.be/53M9Yuv--zk

Apr 2015
USA
Yes, unfortunately, aside from Black History Month, which usually just involves African Americans anyway, we do not hear much of Africa. Especially in middle an high school. It is only at a university where you may be able to find such a class and even then not much but it is at least something if you are interested. A lot of the books dealing with ancient history need to change too. We hear ancient Egypt all the time, but never ancient Nubia for instance, who seem to have influenced Egypt a lot and even conquered Ancient Egypt. Sad really. I find ancient African history immensely interesting, because there is so much variety within them.

Check this thread out for some awesome info on Ancient Nubia: http://historum.com/middle-eastern-...thread-what-military-power-ancient-nubia.html

Finally, for now you just have to do your own research and hope history books will reflect more than the same old rehashed **** at some time, hopefully in our lifetime :)

Jun 2014
USA
Yes, unfortunately, aside from Black History Month, which usually just involves African Americans anyway, we do not hear much of Africa. Especially in middle an high school. It is only at a university where you may be able to find such a class and even then not much but it is at least something if you are interested. A lot of the books dealing with ancient history need to change too. We hear ancient Egypt all the time, but never ancient Nubia for instance, who seem to have influenced Egypt a lot and even conquered Ancient Egypt. Sad really. I find ancient African history immensely interesting, because there is so much variety within them.

Check this thread out for some awesome info on Ancient Nubia: http://historum.com/middle-eastern-...thread-what-military-power-ancient-nubia.html

Finally, for now you just have to do your own research and hope history books will reflect more than the same old rehashed **** at some time, hopefully in our lifetime :)
Yea another big problem however is that though Nubia was a very impressive African Kingdom, most advocates of our history seem to crutch too hard on Nubia even though there is an entire land mass south of there that was packed with many other impressive kingdoms. Not to mention that gentically, most Western Blacks aren't even genetically related to Nubians, we are related to west and central Africans. I don't know if you watched the videos but I go over my entire genome thoroughly. I'm actually working on the 3rd (and possibly) final installment to the series.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
canada
Bad. Threads of this nature never end well. And this is coming from someone who agrees with your OP. Just a heads up, it won't be long before you come across posters on here who do unfortunately believe that Africa and Africans have little or no history, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Stick around long enough and you'll see controversial threads like this pop up from time to time. Some in the past have gotten very nasty.

Jun 2013
canada
Yea another big problem however is that though Nubia was a very impressive African Kingdom, most advocates of our history seem to crutch too hard on Nubia even though there is an entire land mass south of there that was packed with many other impressive kingdoms. Not to mention that gentically, most Western Blacks aren't even genetically related to Nubians, we are related to west and central Africans. I don't know if you watched the videos but I go over my entire genome thoroughly. I'm actually working on the 3rd (and possibly) final installment to the series.
So Western blacks can't appreciate and admire Nubia because they're predominantly West/Central African in terms of ancestry? Does that mean Europeans can't admire Ancient Egypt because they don't have any Egyptian blood? Many today are well aware of West African history and knowledge of the region is rapidly swelling as well.

Jun 2014
USA
So Western blacks can't appreciate and admire Nubia because they're predominantly West/Central African in terms of ancestry? Does that mean Europeans can't admire Ancient Egypt because they don't have any Egyptian blood? Many today are well aware of West African history and knowledge of the region is rapidly swelling as well.
I never said that they aren't allowed to appreciate Nubian history. I actually appreciate it myself. However when Blacks want to claim their history, they usually run straight for Nubia and Egypt (and Zulu to a lesser extent). It's very uncommon that I see them claim West Africa which is rich in history and historically has been home to the most powerful medieval kingdoms in Africa.

Jun 2014
USA
Bad. Threads of this nature never end well. And this is coming from someone who agrees with your OP. Just a heads up, it won't be long before you come across posters on here who do unfortunately believe that Africa and Africans have little or no history, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Stick around long enough and you'll see controversial threads like this pop up from time to time. Some in the past have gotten very nasty.
Well that is to be expected. I don't expect my videos to stay fresh forever either. Eventually the bigots are gonna discover them.

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
I'll just hijack this thread with a quick question: since most of the posters in this thread are knowledgeable with subsaharan African history, could you recommend me some books on the subject?
Considering I know next to nothing of African history.

Status
Closed