Bloodiest day in military history of every nation

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Yeah, I second this. I think Towton is still the bloodiest day on English/British soil.
I would have to think some battles in the English Civil Wars, like Worcester in particular (for the losing side), were bloodier.

Anyway, for my country, the well-known Antietam during the American Civil War was undeniably the worst as far as a single day is concerned.

Last edited:

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
I would have to think some battles in the English Civil Wars, like Worcester in particular (for the losing side), were bloodier.

Anyway, for my country, the well-known Antietam during the American Civil War was undeniably the worst as far as a single day is concerned.
I think for sheer casualties, Towton is still the bloodiest, with around 28,000 casualties on both sides. I think Worcester was around 3k dead for the Royalists and I think Preston was a bit less.

Pound for Pound, I think the siege of Basing House and the series of battles surrounding it, was a bloody battle foe the Roundheads, losing 2,000 dead from a force of 7,000 during the first siege.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Maybe Boudicca's defeat at Watling Street was higher - 80,000 according to Tacitus was an exaggeration but it was certainly very high.
Watling Street may indeed be the bloodiest single day battle ever fought in British history. It depends on how far off the mark Tacitus' casualty figures were.

Certainly they were in the tens of thousands, at the very least.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
For Britain. Battle of Somme: 60.000 casualties (20.000 KIA) in eight hours, July 1st, 1916.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
For France it was August 22, 1914.

During that single day on the Western Front during the First World War, the French Army lost approximately 27,000 men.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
About US Army I have many doubts:

Was the Bloodiest day in US Army history D-Day? 2.499 American KIA and 4.104 WIA?
was D-Day bloodiest than Antietam = 2.108 KIA and 9.540 WIA? I think US Army had more Fatalities in June 6, 1944 than in September 17, 1862, but fewer WIA.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
About US Army I have many doubts:

Was the Bloodiest day in US Army history D-Day? 2.499 American KIA and 4.104 WIA?
was D-Day bloodiest than Antietam = 2.108 KIA and 9.540 WIA? I think US Army had more Fatalities in June 6, 1944 than in September 17, 1862, but fewer WIA.
With Antietam I believe it is counting the total casualties for the entire battle, since Americans were technically on both sides.

If you exclude the Confederate forces and their casualties, other battles challenge Antietam for the dubious honor of bloodiest day.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
With Antietam I believe it is counting the total casualties for the entire battle, since Americans were technically on both sides.

If you exclude the Confederate forces and their casualties, other battles challenge Antietam for the dubious honor of bloodiest day.
Exactly Confederate forces are not part of the US Army...from a South Point of view is a battle between two foreign armies: the US Army and the CS Army. From a North Point of view is a battle between the Army and the Rebels... but never confederate are part of the US Army..

So, I don´t know what was the bloodiest day in US Army History. Maybe one day in the Battle of Meuse in 1918, or in Normandy, or in Ardennes... maybe in Okinawa? But I think it is not Antietam the bloodiest day in US Army.