Bloodiest day in military history of every nation

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Just reading about the battle and yes that high a huge and bloody battle marked by Englishman slaughtering Englishman civil war at its worst.
The only source for the casualties at Towton is one chronicle (Croyland, I think, but it might have been another), written by someone who wasn't there.

Without some sort of verification, the figures must remain conjectural.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I'm not talking just about the US Army, I'm talking about nations. For me, the Union and the Confederacy, where two forms of the same nation.

Under the argument that the only valid "nation" and army is the one that won the war and united the country again, we exclude many Civil War battles through the history of the world. So that, casualties to be count in the Chinese Civil War would be just those of Communist China, and not the ones suffered by Nationalist China; in the Spanish Civil War, would be only those of the Nationalist side, and not the Republicans; in Vietnam, only those of NVA and not those of the ARV. I can keep posting examples like this ad nauseam.

In Antietam, 3,654 Americans died in battle.
But It is not the bloodiest day in US Army History. From the Confederacy point of view was a battle between two foreign armies.
It is not possible to "count" the casualties a a Whole... the line split civil and international wars is very thin.
So, Azincourt (or crecy) are civil war battles (and both casualties counted as a whole). It was a battle between two French Kings and with French Soldiers in both sides! and Sadowa (Könnigratz) is a civil war battle in the German Confederacy...

But, of course, you can think in a different way.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
So, Azincourt (or crecy) are civil war battles (and both casualties counted as a whole). It was a battle between two French Kings and with French Soldiers in both sides! and Sadowa (Könnigratz) is a civil war battle in the German Confederacy...

But, of course, you can think in a different way.

That's part of the fun of this thread, we should "hilar muy fino" in this issue.

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
Was Towton really that high? A War of the Roses battle?
Purportedly, yes, though contemporary sources are not entirely trustworthy. They did find a mass grave with the skulls and bones of soldiers, which was carbon dated to the period of the battle, and contained horrific head wounds. I think there was at least 50-60 bodies supposedly in that grave.

IIRC, overall Royalist casualties at Worcester were around 13,000 (obviously not all dead though).
If you include prisoners, then yes.

The only source for the casualties at Towton is one chronicle (Croyland, I think, but it might have been another), written by someone who wasn't there.
I know of Jean de Waurin and Edward Hall (who was a Tudor), but the former is a bit fantastical and the latter far apart from the battle, so maybe not entirely acceptable for pure facts, but bits and pieces.

Without some sort of verification, the figures must remain conjectural.
I agree, I would always be wary of sources like that, but I know of no academic sources who have go against this figure, though they probably exist somewhere.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
More info of Chile, our bloodiest battle or deadliest at least single day, was the battle or battles of San Juan and Chorrillos in Peru in the War of the Pacific, one day battle produced 1,873 KIA not including 88 officers lost.

Dec 2014
Kent,England
Does anyone know the battle with the most casualties for the republic of china in the sino-japanese war?

edit: second sino-japanese war