'Body shaming' ads banned on London transport

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Sadiq Khan, New London Mayor, Bans Ads Promoting Unhealthy Body Image - NYTimes.com

The article says ads which feature unrealistic body images are banned on public transport but it looks like the criticism that got these ads banned is not limited to abnormally thin women promoting unrealistic body standards. There was an "are you beach body ready" ad which generated a lot of complaints and controversy and the woman in the ad was not especially thin, just fit and toned. Some people take the fact that ads favor women in shape over obese women to be "fat shaming."

Now I certainly don't think people should be ashamed over their weight but let's face it, most people prefer bodies that are in shape and people who are offended because that is featured in advertising are overly sensitive in my opinion.

This ban seems like a new kind of censorship to protect people's feelings so they don't feel bad that they're out of shape and not like the people in the ads. However I think we have yet to see how this will actually play out, is it limited to banning anorexic looking models or will it go further than that?

Last edited:
Apr 2016
United Kingdom
'I'm not just going to call your actual body unrealistic because it is so much better than mine. I'm going to get the government involved.'

Last edited:

zincwarrior

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Texas
If its the government property, the government should have the right to decide what ads it permits. I hate bus and train ads by the way.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Yeah I suppose they have the right but it seems to me like Domnall said, a lot of people are just resentful that they don't look as good as the people in the ads. And again I can understand if we're talking about unnaturally thin people but the criticism over he beach body ad was absurd .

Jan 2013
Sadiq Khan, New London Mayor, Bans Ads Promoting Unhealthy Body Image - NYTimes.com

The article says ads which feature unrealistic body images are banned on public transport but it looks like the criticism that got these ads banned is not limited to abnormally thin women promoting unrealistic body standards. There was an "are you beach body ready" ad which generated a lot of complaints and controversy and the woman in the ad was not especially thin, just fit and toned. Some people take the fact that ads favor women in shape over obese women to be "fat shaming."

Now I certainly don't think people should be ashamed over their weight but let's face it, most people prefer bodies that are in shape and people who are offended because that is featured in advertising are overly sensitive in my opinion.
Well unfortunately not everyone is able to brush off these things as easily as you. Women are subjected to a truly horrific culture, where the only thing that really matters is being visually 'perfect' at every moment when they are in public view, according to an increasingly more absurd ideal propagated by adverts such as this. I don't think we as men (I'm assuming you are male) can ever understand what it is like to be under that kind of pressure about your appearance. I certainly am thankful I am male in that regard.

This ban seems like a new kind of censorship to protect people's feelings so they don't feel bad that they're out of shape and not like the people in the ads.
Firstly, you don't have to be 'out of shape' to feel bad about yourself in comparison with a bikini model. Secondly, people's 'feelings' often translate to their psychological perception of themself, i.e. their self-esteem, and having poor self-esteem can cause very real problems, such as eating disorders and depression. These problems are all too common among young women, and frankly I agree that it is not appropriate to have these kind of adverts in that kind of public health context, at least when they are associated with a government-owned industry such as tfl.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix

This ban seems like a new kind of censorship to protect people's feelings so they don't feel bad that they're out of shape and not like the people in the ads. However I think we have yet to see how this will actually play out, is it limited to banning anorexic looking models or will it go further than that?
There is a similar proposition deposed Belgian Parliament.

But it's not that much on "perfect bodies". It's more on "photoshoped" bodies (and faces ;) ). The proposition is not on banning the "photoshoped" photos, but on signalling that the image was retouched ( You know, the small letters no one's able to read ...)

BTW: it was famous a couple of years around here: for a magazine cover, they were so meticulous in photoshoping the girl's skin, that she remained without belly button. As they didn't noticed it, they published it like that :D

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Well unfortunately not everyone is able to brush off these things as easily as you. Women are subjected to a truly horrific culture, where the only thing that really matters is being visually 'perfect' at every moment when they are in public view, according to an increasingly more absurd ideal propagated by adverts such as this. I don't think we as men (I'm assuming you are male) can ever understand what it is like to be under that kind of pressure about your appearance. I certainly am thankful I am male in that regard.
Does that not sound like an extreme exaggeration to you? Women are made to feel like the only thing that matters is that they are "visually perfect" at every moment? Really?

Firstly, you don't have to be 'out of shape' to feel bad about yourself in comparison with a bikini model. Secondly, people's 'feelings' often translate to their psychological perception of themself, i.e. their self-esteem, and having poor self-esteem can cause very real problems, such as eating disorders and depression. These problems are all too common among young women, and frankly I agree that it is not appropriate to have these kind of adverts in that kind of public health context, at least when they are associated with a government-owned industry such as tfl.
If you feel bad because you don't look as good as the bikini model maybe you should realize this is life and you aren't necessarily going to have the kind of car, job or name brand clothing that people in the movies have.

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
Ancient History
Similar History Discussions
Greco-Roman armour and 'body building'