Book ID - Caractacus as "King Arthur"

As a boy c1960, I once saw an advert for a book about King Arthur, stating that the real Arthur had been King Caractacus, and that he had been fighting Romans rather than Saxons.

Sadly, I have long forgotten the title and author, and despite much googling have failed to discover it. Has anyone else heard of it?

Nov 2008
England
As a boy c1960, I once saw an advert for a book about King Arthur, stating that the real Arthur had been King Caractacus, and that he had been fighting Romans rather than Saxons.

Sadly, I have long forgotten the title and author, and despite much googling have failed to discover it. Has anyone else heard of it?
The book might be Guardian of the Grail , Jarrolds, London, 1959, by J. Whitehead. In the book, Whitehead believes that Arthur, Arviragus and Caractacus were different names for the same person.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Thanks.

The date fits well. Iirc I saw it on the back of a book (on a totally different subject (flying sauces) which I received for my twelfth birthday. If my memory is right, that would be Jan 1960.
Yes, as I remember Whitehead did have a theory that Arthur was based on Caratacus, though it has been a long time since I read it. I note that Caractus is not one of the choices in this poll: Most likely King Arthur candidates?

PS Is a "flying sauce" a magical food which empowers the eaters to fly? :)

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Maybe not so far fetched. We know what our first reference is to things. But often those first references in history derive from other references long lost to us nowadays and are an embellished version thereof.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Guardian of the Grail is probably the first book I ever read claiming to prove who the real King Arthur was, on probably one of the earliest in that genre. And I have some fond memories of it.

But still, I can't help thinking that someone who believes that it is totally correct resembles in some ways this fictional character: Caractacus Pott - Wikipedia :):winktongue:

Similar History Discussions