Book Recommendation on the Age of Napoleon

Feb 2019
Serbia
But isn't Chandler just as limited in scope? It's primarily an account of Nappy's military career, no?
Yes and no. Chandler's book is more detailed than Grab and while it only focuses on military campaigns it's probably the best book for the ones who know little about Napoleon and provides good context. Another downside to Chandler is that he only really covers Napoleon and doesn't really pay too much attention to the politics or theatres where Napoleon wasn't involved.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
If you want military overview of Napoleon's career Chandler is good place to start. It does focus on Napoloen so does skip a lot of other stuff in the wars, it's just military history. Chandler pretty good a narrative history, details he's okish. I prefer Petrie (as I find Petrie more interested in details and numbers) but Petire only covers a smaller number of campaigns and one book for each. (but not overly long and generally pretty readible)

Francis Loraine Petre - Wikipedia
The Internet Archive has most of his books.

My top recommendations

1805: Gives lot of context of the motivation, planning and build up to the campaign. You wnat blow by blow of teh campaign for are better,but does cover teh stretghic and political framework very well.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Old-Order-Napoleon-1801-1805/dp/0306815451

1812-14 Again gives a lot of context, very much form the Russian perspective .
https://www.amazon.com/Russia-Against-Napoleon-Story-Campaigns/dp/0143118862

How armies of this period fought.
https://www.amazon.com/Tactics-Napoleon-Enemies-History-Politics/dp/0094745102

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
@Swamp Booger: In addition to all of the excellent suggestions that people gave you above, perhaps you should check out the Internet Archive. It has a lot of free books--including some about Napoleon:

site:archive.org napoleon - Google Search

I don't know if its Napoleon books are actually of good quality (in terms of their writing), but it might nevertheless be worth checking out. Maybe you'll find something interesting there. :)

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Thank you gentlemen for your recommendations.

I purchased Chandler's book off Amazon, and it will be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to doing some Friday night reading. I plan to include more books in my collection as well.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
I ordered Chandler's book and it was supposed to arrive Friday. Unfortunately, I was out depositing my paycheck when UPS arrived and they didn't leave the book. Kinda annoyed. Had nothing to do last night after I came home from dinner at the local bbq joint. Wish they had just left it there. I live in a good area. Nobody would touch it.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I ordered Chandler's book and it was supposed to arrive Friday. Unfortunately, I was out depositing my paycheck when UPS arrived and they didn't leave the book. Kinda annoyed. Had nothing to do last night after I came home from dinner at the local bbq joint. Wish they had just left it there. I live in a good area. Nobody would touch it.
You could have used this as an opportunity to take a look at some online books of Napoleon, though. ;)

Similar History Discussions