Book Recommendations on Japan in Inter-war Years.

Oct 2017
Earth
Hello all.
Recently I’ve taken an interest in period between the First World War and the Second World War.

From what I’ve glanced at there is an abundance of work about the Weimar Republic and Italy and on the rise of Nazism and Fascism. However, I haven’t seen as much work on Japan in the inter-war years.

Does anybody have book recommendations on Japan during the Inter-war period?

Thank you.

May 2018
Houston, TX
Hello all.
Recently I’ve taken an interest in period between the First World War and the Second World War.

From what I’ve glanced at there is an abundance of work about the Weimar Republic and Italy and on the rise of Nazism and Fascism. However, I haven’t seen as much work on Japan in the inter-war years.

Does anybody have book recommendations on Japan during the Inter-war period?

Thank you.
I recently read a book entitled "Pearl Harbor: The Missing Motive" (2015). Author is Kevin O'Connell. The author goes fairly far back in Japanese history to evaluate the political, cultural, and economic factors that eventually led to the decision to make war on the U.S. The situation between the wars is emphasized.

I can't say it is the most well written book I have read, but it does cover the subject. I read this in the Kindle edition.

Reactions: Kreonidus
Oct 2017
Earth
I recently read a book entitled "Pearl Harbor: The Missing Motive" (2015). Author is Kevin O'Connell. The author goes fairly far back in Japanese history to evaluate the political, cultural, and economic factors that eventually led to the decision to make war on the U.S. The situation between the wars is emphasized.

I can't say it is the most well written book I have read, but it does cover the subject. I read this in the Kindle edition.
Hello; I apologise for for this two-month late reply. I couldn’t see your answers as I wasn’t logged into my account.

Thank you very much for your recommendation. I shall research this book. Once again, thank you

Oct 2017
Earth

Hello; I apologise for being late to replying to your answer.
Thank you very much for your recommendation. I’m going to conduct further research into this book.

Thank you.

Mar 2015
Yorkshire
Excellent book (Pulitzer Prize and Critic Circle Winner) - "Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan" by Herbert P Bix. Describes the descent into militarism following the death of his father in the early 1920s but continues through to the 1960s - quite a roller coaster.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
Excellent book (Pulitzer Prize and Critic Circle Winner) - "Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan" by Herbert P Bix. Describes the descent into militarism following the death of his father in the early 1920s but continues through to the 1960s - quite a roller coaster.
Came here to recommend this book. For a modern, scholarly, yet readable book, this is an excellent choice.