Book Recommendations On the Jacobite Risings

Nov 2019
Oregon
I have read this book and recomend it.

Witness to Rebellion: John Maclean's Journal of 'The forty five and the Penicuik Drawings' by Ian Grdon Brown

The Penicuik sketches are pretty fascinating , they almost look medieval. (Completely unrelated but cool tid-bit : Historical Martial Artist used these sketches to develop their current targe training material along with Thomas Page's "Highland Broadsword" treatise.)

Heres an article that shows the various sketches though
(From the article)

"The Penicuik drawings are a collection of sketches by an eyewitness, depicting the armed forces that passed through Penicuik, near Edinburgh, in the years 1745-46. The allegiances of the figures depicted is not noted in the sketches, though a majority of them appear to be Jacobites."

You can buy Witness to Rebellion on Amazon but its spendy.

This really is a good read, imo. Gives plenty of context as to what was going on in the time...and who dosnt love pretty pictures 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2019
Serbia
Thank you all for the recommendations, I think I'll read Fremont-Barnes's book first and then Pittock's books. I've read other books by Fremont-Barnes and Duffy and have enjoyed them, so I will read their books on the Jacobites as well. Any recommendations for the 1715 rebellion? I've only been able to find the one by Daniel Szezi.

Nov 2019
Portland, OR
Hi folks, hope it's okay to chime in here. I recently released the first in a series of posts about recommended sources on Jacobite history over on the JDB1745 research blog, Little Rebellions. This initial list is focused on academic recommendations, but a number of others are planned and will be released intermittently in the coming months. You would be very welcome to have a quick visit and see if anything on the list appeals to you. You also might enjoy having a look at some of the other posts on the blog, which feature historical vignettes from primary source material about the final Jacobite rising, as well as some methodological processes of possible interest as the project continues to grow and take shape.

Furthermore, you would be welcome to contact me with any questions or about your interest in the Jacobite era; it would be a pleasure to discuss with you any aspect of the subject or the greater century.

With best wishes,
Darren

Nov 2019
Oregon
Hi folks, hope it's okay to chime in here. I recently released the first in a series of posts about recommended sources on Jacobite history over on the JDB1745 research blog, Little Rebellions. This initial list is focused on academic recommendations, but a number of others are planned and will be released intermittently in the coming months. You would be very welcome to have a quick visit and see if anything on the list appeals to you. You also might enjoy having a look at some of the other posts on the blog, which feature historical vignettes from primary source material about the final Jacobite rising, as well as some methodological processes of possible interest as the project continues to grow and take shape.

Furthermore, you would be welcome to contact me with any questions or about your interest in the Jacobite era; it would be a pleasure to discuss with you any aspect of the subject or the greater century.

With best wishes,
Darren
Thanks , look foreward to checking out your blog.

Reactions: FunkyPlaid
Feb 2019
Serbia
An update of sorts: I've bought Duffy's book and Fremont-Barnes' book and have decided to read Fremont-Barnes first. If I have more time for reading I might get Pittock and Szechi.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
An update of sorts: I've bought Duffy's book and Fremont-Barnes' book and have decided to read Fremont-Barnes first. If I have more time for reading I might get Pittock and Szechi.
Let us know how they were. I am also thinking of buying some books on the subject after my wife recovers from my last bout of book-buying.