Books about Spanish settlement of SF Bay?

Sep 2018
transitory
Are there any good English-language books which focus on Spanish settlement of the San Francisco Bay Area between the 1770s-1810s? I've been able to track down scattered details on the Presidio of San Francisco and Yerba Buena, but I'd really like to find a few good sources which focus specifically on the Spanish San Francisco settlements, particularly any information concerning the life and demographics of the inhabitants.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Sincerely... I found nothing about so specific area: San Francisco bay between 1770 to 1821...

Sep 2018
transitory
Sincerely... I found nothing about so specific area: San Francisco bay between 1770 to 1821...
That's unfortunate. I have found ample information on the Russian settlement further north at Fort Ross. I was hoping, given that the Spanish were in northern California several decades longer, and the fact that San Francisco is now such a major city, that there might have been something written on its early days during the Spanish era...

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
That's unfortunate. I have found ample information on the Russian settlement further north at Fort Ross. I was hoping, given that the Spanish were in northern California several decades longer, and the fact that San Francisco is now such a major city, that there might have been something written on its early days during the Spanish era...
Well, I am sure in Spanish archives is possible to find a lot (for example in Archivo de Indias in Seville).

Here you can find a 42 pages article (Spanish with some bibliography in English). On page 18 you will see a Bahía de San Francisco Spanish map. And you will see the Alcatraz Island as it was baptized by Spanish.

Diario de José de Cañizares a la Alta California en 1769.

San Francisco was stablished in june 1776.

Reactions: Mando and acix

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I don't know much about this, but SF bay was not that important in Spanish times. If there is any work specifically on that topic, it is probably in English and post US conquest and gold rush.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I don't know much about this, but SF bay was not that important in Spanish times. If there is any work specifically on that topic, it is probably in English and post US conquest and gold rush.
Well, dear Betgo... I think in Archivo de Indias in Sevilla for sure we can find information about San Francisco between 1776 to 1821.. for 45 years the City was a Spanish settlement. Most of sources I see it is in English but for sure we can find reports, records etc in Archivo de Indias (Indies Archives).

For example, San Francisco bay was defended by several Spanish forts in 18th Century (and early 19th). We know the number of cannons and how many soldiers garrisoned San Francisco in 1800 for example.

So in San Francisco Bay, Spaniards built Castillo Cantil (Cantil Castle) in North side of the mouth of bay, where today we can see Golden Gate and December 8th, 1794 was blessed the Fuerte San Joaquín (Saint Joachim Fort) under command of Ensigner Don José Fernández Pérez. This little fort was armed with 8 cannons.

Reactions: Mando and acix

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I am with you and don’t know much about SF bay, and eventually there are more works about it in English than in Spanish, but I have some doubts that about the Spanish settlement we have more primary sources in English than in Spanish.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Sep 2018
transitory
As martin76 has pointed out, just because SF bay was not a huge area of settlement does not mean there is not some information available about it. For example, in the English-language book 'Forts of the American Frontier 1776-1891' by Ron Field, we find an illustration on page 20 of the Presidio of San Francisco ca. 1792, showing how at that point only three of the four walls had been fully constructed. Page 18-19 also has a description (in English) of the presidio given by George Vancouver when he passed by in 1792. This book provides some information on the Presidio's construction, but not much on its inhabitants. This is the kind of thing I'm trying to find in this thread, and not only for the Presidio of SF but also surrounding Spanish settlements in the area.

Reactions: martin76

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I can´t find any book abour period 1776 - 1821. Every data I find it is non-organized or systematized but different books

For example, in the year 1789, the same year begun the French Revolution, San Francisco was inhabited by 429 people, 1.600 cows, 204 horses, 1.400 sheeps, and produced 888 wheat fanegas, 600 corn fanegas, 446 oats fanegas and 4456 other crops fanegas.

Source: Estado de las misiones en la Nueva California del año 1789 (Condiction of the Missions in the New California through the year 1789). AGNM (Archivo general de la nación mexicana).

Fanega: An old Spanish measure for grains before grame system. One fanega equals to 43 kilos = 888 Wheat fanegas = 38.184 kilos = 38,2 Tons.

So, San Francisco produced 38,3 tons of wheat during 1789.

Sep 2018
transitory
That's useful information Martin, thank you for sharing that. To be honest my main reason for asking for books was in case I could not find any Spanish speakers to help me with research, but if I have folks on this website who can translate info from Spanish-language source, that is fine :)

Do you have any information on the breakdown of San Francisco's population ca. 1776-1821? For example how many men, women, children? How many indios, criollos, mestizos, etc.? Or any numbers for employment? (for example, soldiers vs. farmers vs. craftsmen, etc.)