Books about Spanish settlement of SF Bay?

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
That's useful information Martin, thank you for sharing that. To be honest my main reason for asking for books was in case I could not find any Spanish speakers to help me with research, but if I have folks on this website who can translate info from Spanish-language source, that is fine :)

Do you have any information on the breakdown of San Francisco's population ca. 1776-1821? For example how many men, women, children? How many indios, criollos, mestizos, etc.? Or any numbers for employment? (for example, soldiers vs. farmers vs. craftsmen, etc.)
Thanks for your answer acix,

Hello Acix.

Information about matter is hard because mostlly non-digitalized.

You can watch some tables in this link: Alta California

However, the tables about Estado de las misiones en la Nueva California del año 1789 (in fact from 1783 onwards) are in AGNM (Archivo General Nación Mexico). But in AGNM I couldn´t find any option to watch digital documents (Web not even in English version).
The information you are looking for I guess it is in Serie Californias (Several volumens.. I guess in Volumen 12). They are records about Spanish period in Alta California.

AGNM is very important to know for the history of California because most of Spanish records were gathered there and when Mexico was independent in 1821.. the archives were hold there.

Maybe you can find one volumen (12) in some USA university... I read maybe University of Ohio have a digitalized version (in original language) but I couldn´t find.

Well, about people I guess most of them were Mestizos, some whites as Spaniards (Criollos and Peninsulares) and Indians and I guess some negroes. The main factor of Spanish colonization in California.. well in North America were the indians, the american natives. (Indios y franciscanos en la construcción de la Alta California = Indians and Franciscans priest in the construction of High California)

Anza´s expedition was a land expedition from Nogales to San Francisco with 247 settlers and 1.000 cows. It was a great feat: 1.500 kms walking in 1777. And he only lost a life but during the expedition were born 3 babys.. So he arrived to San Francisco with 249 settlers!

The Spanish dream of converting the New California in a Catholic utopia it gradually faded away, although they laid the foundations of a new society that inherited the Mexican independent state. The dream was passed to the chimera of golden fever in Northern San Francisco. When thousands and thousands of people from the whole of the world directed their steps towards California, they just revived (without knowing) the Old Spanish navigators and conquistadores dreams who since 16th Century drew on map one of the most solid Utopias in history of mankind. Still when young people travel to California... they are reviving to Portolá, Anza, Gálvez, Serra etc etc. and their Utopia.

Regards.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
acix - you're going to have to learn Spanish with all these interests of yours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Banderas-l...s+lejanas&qid=1556182155&s=books&sr=1-1-spell

I found this very interesting. Of course they never actually settled much at all. That was the whole problem. They couldn't get anyone to settle much north of Mexico and were easily pushed out. It's mostly about presidios and missions with client native farmers etc. This book deals with every little post and incident there was.

It translates as:

Far off flags - The Exploration, Conquest and Defence by Spain of the Territory of the Present-day US

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
Precisely! The original Anza expedition departed the presidio de tubac. (Tubac was later deserted and soldados transfered to a new presidio de Tucsón in 1775) There is a book that can be bought, (or used to be able to) through “Los Californianos” that is a heritage assn. of descendants of Spanish/Mexican California. They used to also have copies at the US National hist site “mission tumacácori” in Southern AZ. The Anza trail was shut down in 1781 by the Quechen natives there in Yuma.

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
That's useful information Martin, thank you for sharing that. To be honest my main reason for asking for books was in case I could not find any Spanish speakers to help me with research, but if I have folks on this website who can translate info from Spanish-language source, that is fine :)

Do you have any information on the breakdown of San Francisco's population ca. 1776-1821? For example how many men, women, children? How many indios, criollos, mestizos, etc.? Or any numbers for employment? (for example, soldiers vs. farmers vs. craftsmen, etc.)[/QUOTE

OH,, you mean like a CENSUS?
http://www.sfgenealogy.org/sf/ca1790.htm
#sanfrancisco

Sep 2018
transitory
And that's after a couple of hundred years. Next to nothing in population really, which is why it got lost!!
Well, a couple of hundred years of territorial claims. But as we know, with Spain, they claimed a heck of a lot more territory than they ever physically controlled. The SF Bay area didn't have any permanent Spanish presence until the second half of the 18th century...

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
The “Spanish” in fact did very little for the settlement of SF or for that matter the SW USA. Mexico pretty much supplied the endeavers with resouces and manpower for the job. Most of the settlers, pobladores, were mestizos, mulatos, indios or coyotes. Few were actually even purebred or criollos and even less from Spain itself. I do know that Anza was criollo of basque descent. The father or grandfather of Pio Pico, Dolores was mulato. Anza signed up his volunteers in Mexico and they were provided with provisions for the settlement from Mexico.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
acix - you're going to have to learn Spanish with all these interests of yours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Banderas-lejanas-exploración-conquista-territorio/dp/8441421196/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=banderas+lejanas&qid=1556182155&s=books&sr=1-1-spell

I found this very interesting. Of course they never actually settled much at all. That was the whole problem. They couldn't get anyone to settle much north of Mexico and were easily pushed out. It's mostly about presidios and missions with client native farmers etc. This book deals with every little post and incident there was.

It translates as:

Far off flags - The Exploration, Conquest and Defence by Spain of the Territory of the Present-day US
This reminds me so much of the Spanish/Mexican experience in Texas. The main settlement was in Bexar County (San Antonio de Bexar) but there were others much further east in East Texas. Except for Nacogdoches, most of these far flung missions were basically intended to express Spanish Dominion west of the MIssissip[pi and most of them were eventually pulled back to San Antonio because they were difficult to sustain. This is the reason there are so many Spanish Missions centered on the San Antonio River. I don’t think there is any place in the country with so many Spanish Colonial MIssions in a single place. All of them have been fully restored and are functioning churches (except for the Alamo which is owned by the state, no surprise there).

The missions are:

The Alamo
Mission Espada
Mission Concepcion
Mission San Jose
Mission San Juan Capistrano

Bexar was by far the largest Spanish/Mexican settlement in Texas and even then, it wasn’t very large at all. There wasn’t much enthusiasm in Mexico (or Spain) for settling a province that came under routine attack by marauding Comanches, Apaches and other hostile tribes. By contrast, there were plenty of “Anglo” settlers who wanted into Texas who had been fighting the natives for a couple of generations, so this did not deter them.

The Mexicans accepted those settlers until the numbers threatened to overwhelm them with both legal and illegal settlement. The Mexicans could never control such a large territory with the forces they had.

Eventually, Santa Anna, the “Napoleon of the West”, was cornered by Sam Houston’s “army” at San Jacinto and the rest is history.

The Spanish Colonial Missions are part of a national park and all are connected by the San Antonio River and the recently-extended San Antonio Riverwalk. Everything is now connected.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions