Books on the 15th century

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
On the Hundred Years War, Desmond Seward The Hundred Years War is really good. Beautiful illustrations. I just rewatched The Passion of Joan of Arc last nite and watched Henry V a few nites ago—this last not really responsive.

On Renaissance Italy, some of my favorites are The Secret Memoirs of a Renaissance Pope, the memoirs of Pope Pius II, Christopher Hibbert’s The Rise and Fall of the House of Medici, Michael Mallett,The Borgias and Maria Bellonci’s The Life and Times of Lucrezia Borgia—who was in reality nothing like the sinister figure of popular imagination.

All these are “popular history” and so pretty enjoyable reads.

Sep 2018
Salonica
On the Hundred Years War, Desmond Seward The Hundred Years War is really good. Beautiful illustrations. I just rewatched The Passion of Joan of Arc last nite and watched Henry V a few nites ago—this last not really responsive.

On Renaissance Italy, some of my favorites are The Secret Memoirs of a Renaissance Pope, the memoirs of Pope Pius II, Christopher Hibbert’s The Rise and Fall of the House of Medici, Michael Mallett,The Borgias and Maria Bellonci’s The Life and Times of Lucrezia Borgia—who was in reality nothing like the sinister figure of popular imagination.

All these are “popular history” and so pretty enjoyable reads.
Ive taken quite an interest in ian's mortimer 1415 but im not sure what book to read

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Ive taken quite an interest in ian's mortimer 1415 but im not sure what book to read
Desmond Seward is where I would start. Get the hardcover version as it has beautiful color illustrations. It also has drawings,maps,genealogical tables, etc. so you will be able to judge what the War was about, the major battles, etc. Best of all, it is written for the ordinary person and so is very readable.

Sep 2018
Salonica
Desmond Seward is where I would start. Get the hardcover version as it has beautiful color illustrations. It also has drawings,maps,genealogical tables, etc. so you will be able to judge what the War was about, the major battles, etc. Best of all, it is written for the ordinary person and so is very readable.
Do you have any academic books about these eras to suggest?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Nothing on the Hundred Years War.

John Hale’s The Civilization of Europe in the Renaissance is the only academic work I have, unless you count Burckhardt’s The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy. Burckhardt is dated now, but at least he’s free of contemporary academic cant. Hale has written a book specifically on Italy—Machiavelli and Renaissance Italy —but I haven’t read it.

Similar History Discussions