Books on the Ainu

Aug 2016
USA
The Ainu may be the original people of Japan. I'd like to learn more about them, and the debate going on between Japan's scholars and the rest of the world's about who originally occupied Japan.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The Ainu may be the original people of Japan. I'd like to learn more about them, and the debate going on between Japan's scholars and the rest of the world's about who originally occupied Japan.
They are not the original people of Japan. They are *descendents* of the Jomon period inhabitants, but they are not the same group, certainly not linguistically - there was more than one Ainu (aboriginal) language spoken in the islands, and the modern language is the only survivor. There History also records Emishi faimilies being absorbed into Japanese nobility.

Apr 2010
US
The only book I can speak of on the Ainu is Brett Walker's 'The Conquest of Ainu Lands: Ecology and Culture in Japanese expansion, 1590-1800.'

It was a good read. Should give you some background on Ainu. Although, it may not satisfy your curiosity in the specific topic you stated.